• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Snorkel Nose tii

tii bimmer

"You can convert a square tail to roundie by changing the middle rear panel to an early one."

You're right, Al, but you're also going to need a about a 3" wide patch panel to fill in the hole in the rear fender where the square lite tail lite wraps around. Check out the picture above of Helmut with the torch.

Bob Napier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both roundies and squarelights use the same quarter panel. If you pull the tail light off a squarelight car, you will notice a semi-circular cutout in the quarter panel sheet metal (outboard of the seam between quarter panel and rear panel). That same semi-circular cutout matches perfectly the semi-circle in a roundie's rear body panel. The factory cleverly designed the square tail lights so that they fit into the semi-circular cutouts on the quarter panels. Thus, only one quarter panel as a spare part!

BTW, I got to drive the MT "new" 2002tii--what a blast--just like driving a new 2002!

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

"BTW, I got to drive the MT "new" 2002tii--what a blast--just like driving a new 2002!

Cheers

mike

Lucky duck! That's awesome, where is the car even located? Didn't they put it in a museum?

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

all Tii i saw in my life, as much as i can remember, had snorkel. i would be realy stumped that all of them had the nose replaced at some point in their life...could that be possible...

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

If you think about it, why the heck would a tii need a snorkel? Their airbox is on the intake side of the engine next to the battery across all 4 runners...correct me if I'm wrong but they have an air filter at the end and that's it. No provisions to attach an intake tube/winter/summer valve to the end of them.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Correct, they don't need a snorkel. But I doubt very much that they would stop the production line because they ran out of tii noses.

I recall discussions regarding the location of the radio antenna, under hood stickers and such that indicate lack of production line controls. So it's not unreasonable to think that some tii's came out with the snorkel noses!

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

i think we all know its very obvious Tii dont need the snorkel...but all carbs cars need it...so...the real question is...why would they had bothered making 2 different nose during the whole production years, i am sure some of the administrator of BMW back then suggested it would worth it to make only "one" type of 02 nose...just for the sake of cash savings.

How about the connection under the dash for the light into the center console for the Automatic 02 ? and how about the connections for the fuel pump specific for the Tii ? all 12 fuses cars has thoses connections no matter if its automatic, tii or not...i dont think it is unreasonnable to think some Tii had snorkel from factory.

This is a endless debatable topic i guess. Nobody will ever be able to prove anything there. You dont like snorkel, i am ok with that. You think all Tii never had snorkel...i am not ok with that.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

Was the snorkle the only difference? I thought the fuel filter mount which is a slight depression was also stamped at the same time. Is that there in the snorkle noses?

If it isn't there then I would tend believe there were no ur-Tii's with snorkel.

Byas