• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Built a new parcel deck

Beck180

Not sure what the stock parcel deck looked like in our 02's when they arrived of the boat, but I am pretty sure the one in my 74Tii was not the original. And even if it was, the cardboard in my parcel deck was warped and the fabric had shrunk.

The original deck is at the top of this photo. I started by shaping some plywood to the correct shape.

car_10.JPG

Then I cut some vinyl to shape. Discount Fabrics in SF is a great place if you are in the area. I found a role of vinyl that is an extremely close match to my tan interior.

car_11.JPG

Let the gluing begin. Contact cement wasn't working well on the wood, so I ended up using some 3M Super 77. Worked great.

car_12.JPG

Still needed some clamps though.

car_13.JPG

Speaker covers are from an E30, bought new from BMW of South Atlanta as suggested by a forum member. Couldn't find black screws though.

car_14.JPG

car_15.JPG

Installed

car_16.JPG

Nice job! I did this on my 72 and used tempered hardboard (Masonite) on mine. I also put a layer of high density foam under it to prevent any vibration from the speakers. I don't know if that would have vibrated, but as I had never done it before but it gave it a good touch. Black screws I found at the local Ace Hardware.

I also added the 3rd brake light on my deck as to many '02's get whacked in the rear. People aren't programmed to see brake lights in the corners. Only in the high center. That was a good mod.

Again, looks good!

I redid mine but took a slightly different approach.

I made a blank out of mahogany. Biscuit joined 2 pieces with book match and then thinned it down with a planer. I used some more mahogany in the console to match.

I also do some woodworking/furniture building for fun, though the 02 has gotten all my attention lately.

post-15112-13667657877125_thumb.jpg

There are several clips that affix into the shelf and have an arrowhead on them that holds them through the metal deck panel. You can see them on the underside of the metal deck from in the trunk.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

replaced mine, added layer of sound deadener, thin layer of foam and then covered with black acoustic speaker grill cloth. 6x9's mounted under the deck. you can not tell there are speakers there. just looks like a black parcel shelf.

how to details on page 7 of M2 build thread here

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345762/postdays,0/postorder,asc/topic_view,/start,180/

DSCN4817.jpg

2xM3

replaced mine, added layer of sound deadener, thin layer of foam and then covered with black acoustic speaker grill cloth. 6x9's mounted under the deck. you can not tell there are speakers there. just looks like a black parcel shelf.

how to details on page 7 of M2 build thread here

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345762/postdays,0/postorder,asc/topic_view,/start,180/

That is an EXCELLENT Job! Very impressive!!

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

I redid mine but took a slightly different approach.

I made a blank out of mahogany. Biscuit joined 2 pieces with book match and then thinned it down with a planer. I used some more mahogany in the console to match.

I also do some woodworking/furniture building for fun, though the 02 has gotten all my attention lately.

Oh hello, I've driven past your car! Have a friend who lives in the area...

Oh hello, I've driven past your car! Have a friend who lives in the area...

Next time you are in area stop on by. I would love to chat 02. I am very much a newbie and this is my first car 02 as well as my first restoration. I am always up to learn more.

id,67012

Fantastic! I considered doing this but the holes i drilled for the speakers were way too ugly.

Are those 4" speakers

5 1/4" actually.

How is the parcel shelf attached to the car? I've been thinking of doing the same.

Not really attached yet. Thinking of using velco. That way I don't have to drill the metal and I can pull it out if I need to do any work.