• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front windshields....

wegweiser

I've always been a proponent of using genuine BMW glass when possible in 2002s, but I simply couldn't afford the $350 plus shipping hassle on the F Bomb.

Maybe this is old news to you all (I've been absent from the FAQ for a while) but I'd like to share the info Mr Mike Pugh gave me last week, in the interest of passing along good Karma:

Pilkington Glass makes green tinted windshields for 2002s (72-76 US cars all had a slight green tint) and I just Googled Pilkington Glass retailers and found a "Glass America" shop about 45 minutes from me that sells 'em. $130 plus tax. If you have a Glass America shop nearby, that might be a terrific source for affordable windshields. I'll be installing it in the next few days and will let you all know how well it fits (or doesn't) with a genuine BMW seal. I have high hopes! Mike says the part number is #227, but there's nothing on my receipt to suggest that.

Hope this helps! If nothing else - it outta' fit well enough for you track-car guys that tend to consume windshields every season or two!

See y'all at The Vintage!

post-2748-13667657941953_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

As I understand it, Pilkington is the company that now supplies the 2002 windshields sold by BMW. So, the only difference between a Pilkinton windshield and one from BMW is the lower price and lack of the BMW logo printed on the glass. I have a Pilkinton windshield installed on my '73tii using a BMW seal and it fits perfectly.

PS, it's true that most '72 - '76 US model cars came with green (tinted) glass, but not all of them. My '74 tii has clear glass that's original all the way around. Go figure,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

This reminds me, I need a new windshield and seal as well.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

I've always been a proponent of using genuine BMW glass when possible in 2002s, but I simply couldn't afford the $350 plus shipping hassle on the F Bomb.

Maybe this is old news to you all (I've been absent from the FAQ for a while) but I'd like to share the info Mr Mike Pugh gave me last week, in the interest of passing along good Karma:

Pilkington Glass makes green tinted windshields for 2002s (72-76 US cars all had a slight green tint) and I just Googled Pilkington Glass retailers and found a "Glass America" shop about 45 minutes from me that sells 'em. $130 plus tax. If you have a Glass America shop nearby, that might be a terrific source for affordable windshields. I'll be installing it in the next few days and will let you all know how well it fits (or doesn't) with a genuine BMW seal. I have high hopes! Mike says the part number is #227, but there's nothing on my receipt to suggest that.

Hope this helps! If nothing else - it outta' fit well enough for you track-car guys that tend to consume windshields every season or two!

See y'all at The Vintage!

Wegweiser, kinda OT but do you have a project blog for the F-bomb? I've always been curious.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

No blog...yet.

Here's a summary so far:

I. I busted my ass to make it reliable and safe 8 weeks after pulling it from a barn where it sat for 14 years.

II. I replaced a slew of parts to ensure it would be BULLETPROOF. My vanity won't allow me to have an avoidable breakdown in public. ;-) ESPECIALLY with the exterior condition of the car. I'm funny that way.

I bring a box smaller than a shoebox with me on 5+ hr roadtrips filled with wrenches, a spare electric pump, and tii plastic lines. That's IT.

III. I drive the living HELL out of it.

It has more heart and soul than any 02 I've owned over the last 25 years. Now that the annual springtime linkage adjustment and tune-up stuff is done, she is surprisingly quick...as in cammed/dual DCOE quick. I'm a Kugelfischer BELIEVER!

Perhaps someday a blog about the car....someday.

Stuff I've replaced:

rotors, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake pipes, brake hoses, brake master, clutch master, clutch slave, guibo, center bearing, rear muffler, trunk lock, door grommets, mirror, headlights, alternator, intake runner O rings, linkage, battery, fuel pump, K'fischer belt, fan belt, water pump, balljoints, dash lightbulbs, one tag light bulb, wiper blades, front strut bearings, air/fuel filters, fuel hoses, radiator re-core, engine fan, radio light bulb, steering wheel, ignition parts (stock), red coil, coolant hoses, oil hoses, timing cover seals, oil pan seal, crank seal, brake booster hose, window regulator, exhaust hangers............

post-2748-13667657950624_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite. It's a Pilkington, and looks to fit perfectly.

I supplied the rubber (even though they had one) and they supplied the lockstrip for an extra $10. The windshield was $147 on the invoice.

I made sure they knew what they were doing on it and they took their time and it looks good. Not perfect, the headliner isn't as tight as it could be behind the visors, but it's a driver not a show car.

In NYC I've carried glass insurance for years, and so it was all covered, except for the seal, which I had.

76 2002 Fjord Sunroof AC

90 VW Vanagon (Ford repowered)

and my daily commuter: a Bicycle!

No blog...yet.

Here's a summary so far:

I. I busted my ass to make it reliable and safe 8 weeks after pulling it from a barn where it sat for 14 years.

II. I replaced a slew of parts to ensure it would be BULLETPROOF. My vanity won't allow me to have an avoidable breakdown in public. ;-) ESPECIALLY with the exterior condition of the car. I'm funny that way.

I bring a box smaller than a shoebox with me on 5+ hr roadtrips filled with wrenches, a spare electric pump, and tii plastic lines. That's IT.

III. I drive the living HELL out of it.

It has more heart and soul than any 02 I've owned over the last 25 years. Now that the annual springtime linkage adjustment and tune-up stuff is done, she is surprisingly quick...as in cammed/dual DCOE quick. I'm a Kugelfischer BELIEVER!

Perhaps someday a blog about the car....someday.

Stuff I've replaced:

rotors, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake pipes, brake hoses, brake master, clutch master, clutch slave, guibo, center bearing, rear muffler, trunk lock, door grommets, mirror, headlights, alternator, intake runner O rings, linkage, battery, fuel pump, K'fischer belt, fan belt, water pump, balljoints, dash lightbulbs, one tag light bulb, wiper blades, front strut bearings, air/fuel filters, fuel hoses, radiator re-core, engine fan, radio light bulb, steering wheel, ignition parts (stock), red coil, coolant hoses, oil hoses, timing cover seals, oil pan seal, crank seal, brake booster hose, window regulator, exhaust hangers............

I love your car's soul... and I love the patina of it :) It's beautiful. And eager to get going. Just like my little red :)

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

Thanks Colin. This car has a long history of love. I'm just doing right by the previous owners.

The woman that last owned it was so thrilled that I was saving her long lost car (she owned it from 1981-1994 when it was parked), that she sent me fresh NY tags / registration and PAID THE INSURANCE on it for 2 months, until I could get it registered in PA last year. To this day, she refuses to accept money from me- for the car, or her efforts/expenses.

THAT'S Karma. I owe it back to the car.

Paul Wegweiser

I just had a Pilkington put in my 02 in January with a new BMW seal by Patrick at Midnight Motorsport, fits great, looks perfect!

427628_3191711797903_1419133471_3234395_606114204_n.jpg

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

BMW started building US cars with tinted glass sometime in late 1970 or early 71, and not all cars then came with the tinted glass. The tint is very subtle and difficult to see unless you compare it with the clear glass fitted to the early cars. Not sure I've ever seen a US spec car with clear glass after the 71 model year, but I guess they must exist.

What's difficult to find is a heated, clear backlight. Rear window defrosters were theoretically available even in '68 /'69, but when I tried to order one on my '69, I was told they weren't in production yet for US cars. I didn't want to wait so I went ahead and got the car without the defroster...then it took me 22 years to find one, and it came from a Euro spec car.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just to confirm the P/N listed above on wegweiser's post, we have a new Pilkington windshield in my wife's '76 and it is #227. Over the many years I've had a couple Pilkington windshields and have never had any leak problems (qualifier: not that it rains a lot in Southern Arizona - 0.87" total so far in 2012)

I have free glass replacement thru State Farm and when I explain to them that the rubber seals are not reusable and only the ones from the dealership do not leak they've always said OK and had the glass shop order a new seal and locking strip from the dealership in Tucson.

Bob Napier

BMW started building US cars with tinted glass sometime in late 1970 or early 71, and not all cars then came with the tinted glass. The tint is very subtle and difficult to see unless you compare it with the clear glass fitted to the early cars. Not sure I've ever seen a US spec car with clear glass after the 71 model year, but I guess they must exist.

What's difficult to find is a heated, clear backlight. Rear window defrosters were theoretically available even in '68 /'69, but when I tried to order one on my '69, I was told they weren't in production yet for US cars. I didn't want to wait so I went ahead and got the car without the defroster...then it took me 22 years to find one, and it came from a Euro spec car.

cheers

mike

I have a 72 (very early 72 almost late 71) with clear glass all around.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.