• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cannot switch to high beams

bnam

During my drive to work 6am today, I discovered that I no longer can switch to high beam.

Low beam works fine. I can flash the high beams so headlamps/relay/fuse are fine, but when I push the turn signal stalk forward (away from steering wheel) to the high beam position, it does click into position, but the lights stay on low beam.

I'm thinking this is a problem with the switch itself.

Or is it something else?

Common?

Byas

Sounds like the switch may be broken.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

Replace the fuse, they can look good and be bad.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I will check the fuses to be sure. But, my thought is if it was the fuse, I should get no lights when I switch to the high beam position. Instead, what happens is that it stays on the low beams. Could that be a fuse issue?

B

not the fuse or relay, or the high beam flash wouldn't work.

Not difficult to remove, and it just may be dirty rather than broken.

Remove from steering column, and look for broken parts. If it looks intact, use a spray tuner cleaner (get at an electronics supply place, perhaps Radio Shack), and give it a good squirt. That just may fix it.

If not, look for a used one in the parts for sale section (they don't go bad often). Roundies all use the same switch (hi/lo/flash only), just different knobs (they unscrew). Squarelights all use the same switch (hi/lo/flash/turn signals), so make sure you get the correct one.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite