• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap Vintage Roof Rack Revisited

mcaden

I built one of Clay's cheap and easy vintage looking roof racks over the winter. I picked up some Quick-n-Easy roof rack clamps off Craigslist for $30 last fall. Then Clay kindly gave me some of his old futon wood to sand and varnish. Clay also helped me get the right hardware and drill holes based on his measurements. Here is Clay's initial post discussing: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,354629/highlight,/sid,41d967e5446ec4d3a00171603435fbb6/

I am attaching pictures below. For under a $100, it is a solid rack that is vintage looking. There are still probably some ways it could be improved upon. I think it would like nice with some raised rails like a vintage VW rack.

Thanks much to Clay for the idea and his assistance!

IMG_4372-1.jpg

IMG_4364-1.jpg

IMG_4363-1.jpg

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

Looks great, but is that aluminium along the edge? Hope not - wouldn't want to put anything heavy on that, or large enough to catch the wind. Once up to speed the wind resistance is pretty strong and I could see that failing quite quickly.

I just threw on an €8 roof rack I found on a local classified ad site. Did the job for a 900kms round trip to the Savoie Alps, just got back.

post-16660-13667658019282_thumb.jpg

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Looks great, but is that aluminium along the edge? Hope not - wouldn't want to put anything heavy on that, or large enough to catch the wind. Once up to speed the wind resistance is pretty strong and I could see that failing quite quickly.

It's 1/8" thick 1-1/2" aluminum angle. I haven't seen any deflection in mine, and I've had it on for over a year.

100_9742.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

It's 1/8" thick 1-1/2" aluminum angle. I haven't seen any deflection in mine, and I've had it on for over a year.

well I'm no engineer, but I'd be worried about a tare - my skis started to oscillate against the wind resistance at about 85mph so I backed off. A lot forces going through not a lot of metal. And replacing that with steel would be cheap insurance. But as I said, I'm no pro, and haven't seen your set-up in the metal, so I'm not trying to be critical, just throwing my thoughts out there.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I just threw on an €8 roof rack I found on a local classified ad site. Did the job for a 900kms round trip to the Savoie Alps, just got back.

that is an amazing picture. new screensaver!!

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

Keeping it real - my rack is more for show than practical reasons (altho I guess you never know when it will come in handy)... so I am not really concerned about it coming unhinged at speed.

I do, however, have one question. Anyone know if a 2002 roof rack will fit on an E30 without modifications. The roof dimensions look roughly the same.

Nick - great picture!

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst