• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door lock knobs

BPK2

I have a question about door lock knobs. I recently bought a 1976 BMW 2002 that has had a lot of PO modifications. The door lock knobs are thin vertical plastic cylinders that barely extend past the opening in the at the top of the door panel when the doors are unlocked. I am assuming they aren’t original but I don’t know what the original knobs look like. When I pulled one off, I saw that it is press fit onto the wire with a small detent to help secure it. I would like to replace the knobs with something longer and preferably with a slight flare at the top to facilitate a better grip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have a question about door lock knobs. I recently bought a 1976 BMW 2002 that has had a lot of PO modifications. The door lock knobs are thin vertical plastic cylinders that barely extend past the opening in the at the top of the door panel when the doors are unlocked. I am assuming they aren’t original but I don’t know what the original knobs look like. When I pulled one off, I saw that it is press fit onto the wire with a small detent to help secure it. I would like to replace the knobs with something longer and preferably with a slight flare at the top to facilitate a better grip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sounds like you are describing the stock, the way it came from the factory, door lock knobs.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Sounds stock. I was confused as well. THe stock one is not designed to be pulled up. You unlock it by pulling up on the inside lever, not by pulling up. SO it is designed only to be pushed down. Also, when you insert the anti-vibration grommets that are probably missing, it will stick out a bit more. Just installed mine on the pass side yesterday. Big diff.

Byas

Thanks for the information. I understand the situation now. Could you tell me what the anti-vibration grommets look like so I can check to see whether they are missing? I appreciate your help.

Guest Anonymous

actually, it looks like you need at least two pairs of gloves in order to perform the various functions correctly.

No. This is clearly a full set of pictoral directions to perform a certain task. I have translated to standard American Legalese below:

photo 5

02HANDBOOKinsidepages.jpg

Wearing gloves, release handbrake lever allowing the car to roll backwards. Verify the car indeed came with a 5 speed and you didn't get taken. Check the glovebox for spare change. Remove gloves and perform a valve adjustment. (Next 3 photos) Don another set of gloves and open the drivers door. Decide to either let the passenger in or lock them out entirely. Test fit the key into the trunk lock. With the hood still open, check the orientation of the white arrow near the washer nozzle. If arrows are not present, change gloves and check to see if the arrows have receeded into the washer tank. Upon completion of these pre-drive steps, slam the hood down on your fingers.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

And to finish on topic-

Do a search for door rattles and door lock rods.

Those little grommets make a big difference in smooth operation.

There are also the "while you are in there" fixes like making sure the drain holes are not blocked, replacing the old style clips on the door card with the new style green ones, lubricating the lock and levers, replacing the aecella cloth (plastic sheet) on the door so your door cards don't get wet, etc...

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes