• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lifting and supporting the engine

SpetzNaz

Hi all,

Does anyone have a good picture of where the the attachment points should be for lifting or supporting the engine from the top? The pictures in all the shop manuals are pretty unclear about this.

I want to pull the front subframe but instead of lifting with the hoist i was thinking of using an engine support bar from harbor freight. Has anyone done it this way? Where do you recommend connecting the chains? Where are the standard lifting points?

TIA

Get an engine load bar. When I swapped out my subframe I looped one chain of the load bar under the exhaust manifold and the other under the driver side motor mount.

Yes this is my plan, got my eye on the engine support bar from Harbor Freight. Just really didn't want to hold on to the head. Probably nothing will happen but just makes me worried.... Engine mounts are a good idea and i think there are some threaded holes on the block it self on both sides so i'll try to put some eye bolts in there. Anyone know the thread size?

i just happen to have pics from when i put it on my stand. i had used different points when i pulled it out of the car, but no pictures for that though.

i would think the way i have it picked up in the pictures below, the rear chain would hit the lip that on the car above the heater.

i can tell you that it was a real pita to pull the engine out with the tranny still on. going to put them back in separately, and if i pulled them out again, i would do it separately, although ive heard the splines between the tranny and clutch can be difficult to match up in the car.

post-15709-13667658640137_thumb.jpg

post-15709-13667658642045_thumb.jpg

post-15709-13667658643644_thumb.jpg