• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding a possible purchase

KDAWG97M3

Thank you in advance for any help, or input ......

So I go today to look at "1976" 2002, I look it over, interior in ok shape rusty in usual spots, know this car will be a project. Here is where it gets fishy.....I look at the vin tag...it doesn't look right...but I notice it has a number and that number matches the steering colum...but the stamp on the body and sticker on driver side door are different??? Both vins come up as a 75? I can't run a car fax...so I have no clue..current owner doesn't have a title...I just want to find a car I can use for parts or restore my tii......I don't want to get not a mess, but is this car destined for parts? Or would I be able to title and possibly restore? How can I check the vin to see if it is salvage or stolen? Any ideas on why there are two vins? Thanks for your help.,I greatly appreciate it

>Both vins come up as a 75?

come-up where?

You can e-mail the VINs to: Andreas.Harz@partner.bmwgroup.com for origination info.

where exactly is the "tag" that matches the # on the steering column?

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

>Both vins come up as a 75?

come-up where?

You can e-mail the VINs to: Andreas.Harz@partner.bmwgroup.com for origination info.

where exactly is the "tag" that matches the # on the steering column?

Ok so the silver "vin tag" that is riveted to the fender well shows vin number a

Then on the stamped portion of the chassis and sticker on driver door jamb it shows vin b...

Shoot me your email and I will provide the vin numbers..

Also I put the vin numbers in the "decoder" this is where I got the information regarding a 1975...

no photos of the vin numbers = we don't help

everyone is registered and honest injun here

p.s. - the motor number should also match the VIN number

we need a photo of that also

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

what state are you in? different states handle the no title situation in different ways. there are title services that can get you a title from a state that is more lenient and covert it to a title in a different state.

the vin stamped on the body should be the one that you can get a title for. someone must have lost a title at some point and bought the vin plate and dash piece from a scrapped car with title and put in on that car to get it titled. not exactly legal.

the stamped vin is odd though. maybe just the picture, but all the ones i have seen were stamped...innies. yours looks raised.

bottom line though...could it be titled? yes. as 2363184.

did you run them through the 2002 registry?

both those vins are earlier than my 75's vin.

2xM3