• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding a possible purchase

KDAWG97M3

I have both a '75 and a '76 and the stamped VIN on the fender is, in fact, stamped from the top down into the metal. If yours is raised, as it appears in the picture, then my guess is that it's a replacement fender. The plain stamped VIN plate would also indicate the fender has been replaced - that's not an original VIN plate. The steering wheel cover is easily changed so maybe when the fender VIN plate was put on the new fender they copied the steering plate thinking that was the correct VIN. The only one of these that could not be changed is the sticker on the door jam. I'd be inclined to believe that is the correct VIN. FWIW both VINs indicate the car was manufactured between Jan '75 and Jul '75 as a 1975 Model.

Bob Napier

Go to the DMV and inquire about the VIN just to confirm if it's stolen. They will tell you. They may not provide with much more info but here in California, then will tell you back fees and if the car is current, off the system or stolen. The DMV website can be of some help too. In California, it is.

You may also check with the Highway Patrol if DMV has no record of the VIN. I would got with the 184 VIN. That's the correct one for the car.

Why was it swapped? Here in California, years ago, 73s and old cars were exempt from smog inspections. So, when a 73 or older car was getting ready to be crushed, the VIN plate, the steering column top cover were swapped on later cars, especially if they were modified. Not legal but a common occurrence. But why would someone replace a 75 VIN with another 75? Odd.

Let us know what you find out.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I have both a '75 and a '76 and the stamped VIN on the fender is, in fact, stamped from the top down into the metal. If yours is raised, as it appears in the picture, then my guess is that it's a replacement fender. The plain stamped VIN plate would also indicate the fender has been replaced - that's not an original VIN plate. The steering wheel cover is easily changed so maybe when the fender VIN plate was put on the new fender they copied the steering plate thinking that was the correct VIN. The only one of these that could not be changed is the sticker on the door jam. I'd be inclined to believe that is the correct VIN. FWIW both VINs indicate the car was manufactured between Jan '75 and Jul '75 as a 1975 Model.

Bob Napier

iirc, the stamped vin and the riveted plate are not on the fender. they are on the unibody. changing a fender does not affect the vin. to change the stamped vin you have to cut the section out of the unibody and weld a new section in.

2xM3

Marshall; In looking at our cars I believe I was wrong, and you are correct. Makes it even more wierd, in my eyes, that the stamped VIN in the right front on his car was done from underneath. But that reinforces my opinion that the stamped VIN, which he said corresponds to the VIN sticker in the driver's door frame, is probably the correct one.

Bob Napier

FWIW - VIN plate rivets are (I believe) aluminium, so they shouldn't be rusty; probably a sign that the VIN plate has been changed.

The VIN plate, minus the printing is not unusual, and the stamped numbers on it look to be the correct font.

As said, the stamping on the inner fender should be the correct VIN for the car.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17