• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strut mounts - spring pads and 18mm vs 35mm bolts

cbgii

About three weeks ago, I started replacing the shocks and strut inserts in my '73 2002 with the assistance of Rob Siegel. We got the rear shocks done in quick order and then went to do the strut inserts. Decided to replace the strut mounts at the same time.

After we removed the struts and took the springs off, we noticed the spring pads were pretty worn, one was shredded, so those had to be replaced too. The real challenge came with finding strut mounts with the right size studs. I wanted to keep the headlight spacers rather than tossing them and just using washers because a PO had drilled the stud holes out to add camber and didn't so the best job of it. The first set of mounts I got had the short bolts so I returned them.

The second set had the part number on realoem for the longer studs but when I received them in the mail - shorter studs! Arrgh! Talked to Steve at Blunt and he said the part number had been superceded so when you order it they just pull what's on the shelf and send it so maybe you get the longer studs, maybe the shorter ones. He also suggested just getting longer bolts and banging the short ones out, which is what we did. The BMW mounts were more expensive but of noticeably better quality.

Much better ride now and the steering feels much tighter!

check it out: http://www.bmw2002.us/blog/2012/04/08/strut-mount-success-bilsteins-all-around-drives-like-a-charm/

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}

You can also easily press out the studs from one set of mounts and replace them in the other. They have a splined shoulder that grips the mounting plate of the strut mount. I keep spares of these in my 02 stash, so I can choose which ones I use regardless of what version of the mounts I'm working with.

A bench vise and a sharp, careful punch with a deadblow hammer knocks em out. Easily pressed in using nuts and washers.

I have the long studs on my car now, but don't have the heart to chop 'em with a cut-off wheel just yet.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

How did all this affect your camber at the end.

I noticed that you used a camber plate on the top. Did you install this to reduce the positive camber (which is what i have).

Many thanks,

PeterCS

74 2002

82 315 Baur

He did not use a camber plate, where is the camber plate? A camber plate of any kind would mount below the body sheet metal and adjust the strut either further inward, or outward. You might be referring to the US-regulation spacers which do nothing in terms of performance.

As to the long stud and short stud upper strut mounts. The original part number (that has been superseded) is for the original 2002 mount and has the longer studs. The new part number is for the E21 chassis which retrofits onto the 2002. What you end up with at this point is entirely due to whatever stock the reseller has on hand.

One last thing is that if he was using fixed (or adjustable) camber plates he would have had to press out the studs anyways. See the picture below...

frontsubframe13e.jpg

In terms of strut bearing percieved 'quality' is pretty subjective at this point since I'm seeing a fair amount of even OEM parts come with stamps from India, Turkey, and China. I'm happy with my Rueville's since they come with a sealed bearing that I don't have to make sure is lubed on a regular basis

No camber plate and the camber is unchanged - what you see is the original spacer added to raise the headlights up to meet U.S. specs - they're usually underneath and many people simply take them out and discard them. I didn't want to do that here because a previous owner had drilled the stud holes out to add camber and did a poor job of it, breaking through a little bit in two places into the hole for the strut mount - looks bad with just washers - better with the spacers where they are and may add a little more structural integrity - should probably take a welder to it at some point!

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}

I have the long studs on my car now, but don't have the heart to chop 'em with a cut-off wheel just yet.

Hey Paul,

I have a set of the short 18mm studs. I just pressed them out of a set of BMW strut bearings. e-mail me through the FAQ if you want them.

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️