• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch fan removal 87 e30 is

esty

Esty,

I think it takes the "special wrench"

http://www.amazon.com/Clutch-Wrench-Water-Pump-Holder/dp/B004NUZ50I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334108135&sr=8-1

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-Specialty-Tools-8032-Clutch/dp/B003QI0G34/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334108135&sr=8-3

and made the holder off a link I found on the internet. the holder is the silly looking thing in the first link.

I'll see if I still have the link for the pattern to make the "holder"

Best,

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

the holder tool looks like what's being used to remove the pulley behind the fan...we got the pulley bolts out...and the pulley is no longer fastened but the fan needs to come off

do we put the pulley back on and use the 2 tools to hold the pulley while cracking a nut on the front of the fan...?

I did it on my e39. I held the funny looking thing I made on the bolts while I loosened the big nut on the fan clutch holding the fan. I am sorry Esty, I don't know exactly what the 325 looks like up front.

the big nut was a bugger to put back on too.

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

Hey Esty,

It has been a couple years since I did the timing belt on my iX, but as I remember you use the second tool in the first link, bolted to the fan pulley to hold it, while you undo the 32mm nut behind the pulley.

Don't forget it is a left hand threaded nut, so you must turn it clockwise to loosen.

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX

You're probably already done, but for those looking now:

Yes, the pulley bolts need to stay in. The 'fan holder' tool has two holes in it that cradle these bolts to hold it still. The fan clutch wrench is a 32mm skinny.

An inexpensive option for these tools are a strap wrench or oil filter pliers (if you don't mind marks on the pulley) for the holder, and then go to your local bicycle shop and get a 32mm headset wrench. Park or Pedros are good quality.

As was said, it unscrews reverse thread. I usually will unscrew the fan clutch, and then lift out the fan with the fan shroud all at once.

Be sure to store the fan/fan clutch in a vertical position. They are oil filled and are know to fail if they are stored face down for long periods of time.

Use some anti-sieze compound when re-installing.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

You'll look at those tools in your tool box and wonder, "Why the Hell did I spend money on these?".

Then will come the time you need them, and use them. Try to stop from smiling then. Using the right tool is a happy thing.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes