• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat options...

Psymon

So I am starting to do some "freshening" up maintenance to my car and I would like to refresh the cooling system.

I have not had any issues to date with overheating or anything but not knowing too much of when it was last updated and I know the car had been sitting a good part of the last 10 years before I bought it last year.

I figured it is cheap insurance to change all the hoses and thermostat and flush the coolant system.

My question is being in the northeast what is the recommended temperature thermostat? 71,75, 80? I only drive the car between 60-90 degrees in temp.

thanks

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

I think you'd be fine w/ an 80º thermostat. Reminder to open the heater valve all the way, drain the block coolant at the same time, and I'd recommend using BMW coolant when you refill. Yea, it's a little more expensive, but how often do you do this. It'll result in less alum head corrsion in the long run. Just my 2¢ worth.

Bob Napier

Thanks Bob. Good advice.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

Just did this, Simon - went with a 71... I think for our driving conditions it doesn't matter all that much. Also, consider the silicon hoses - they're supposed to last a lifetime, and not that much more than the OEM tubes. And +1 on the BMW coolant - they have oodles of it at the dealership, and it's only 3 or 4 bucks more than the stuff at Pep Boys. Also - consider a new water pump while you're at it....

http://www.bmw2002.us/blog/2012/04/01/rainy-day-wrenching/

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I just reworked the cooling system on my daily driver '74 tii.

Here's what I went with:

Three row re-cored radiator from Silicon Garage.

New water pump.

New 360mm fan (was previously using tropical 400mm fan).

75 degree thermostat.

That combo works perfectly for me up in North/Central California. I tried an 80 degree thermostat 1st, but it ran a little too hot so I swapped in a 75 degree thermo. 80 degree would have worked fine had I kept the 400mm tropical fan.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

early 70's we drilled small holes and circulated some water all the time.In South Dakota winters... Summer driving go coolest

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

80*C

SUGG LIST from your Conn. dealer $74.27

you do not want condensation buildup in your motor oil,

you want good MPS's, you want HEAT. you want

proper engine warm up - 80*C is what BMW specifies

for your year 2002

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Just ordered from BMW the 80CEL thermostat for my '77 320i - same part number, the price has dropped to about $28.00! Not sure if this means they outsourced the supplier or what - will look inside the box when it arrives and keep my fingers crossed!

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}

One online BMW dealership says the P/N has been superceded to 11531468056, with a price of $19.69. I don't know who BMWs supplier is on these, but the same thermostat is used on a bunch of different Bimmers, clear up to, and including, 1987 735i.

Bob Napier

I bought my new thermostats from Blunt's automated site (www.blunttech.com) for around $30 each. They are Wahler brand which I believe is the OEM supplier of thermostats to BMW. I thought it was funny because I could see where the little BMW logo on the thermostat had been ground off. I guess they cast them all with the BMW logo and then grind off the logo for the ones sold directly by Wahler...

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Well, my thermostat ordered from a BMW dealer showed up today - opened the box and it was a Vernet, was hoping it'd at least be a Whaler - guess that explains the price drop!

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}