• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight engine stands- Just OK or Run Away?

SteveJ

Three projects are converging at once it seems. I'm going to be pulling the M3 motor while the body goes for paint and need a spot to place the motor rather than it sitting on the floor or dangling from a hoist. Also near this same time I'll be needing to freshen up the tii motor.

I may be able to juggle motors in and out, but there is the chance I may end up with two motor stands. The main reason I'm looking at the HF stand is cost vs my usuage. After these two motors, I have no plans for any motor work for a few years. Will the 1000lb stand at HF stand up to the usage for 2 or 3 motor (all 4cyl) rebuilds?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Sure, I would think so. I've got the 750 lb. one (3 wheel), that some people don't like due to stability. It's been fine for me, though. I've wheeled it all over the garage with a full M10 long block on it (attached on exhaust side). I even put the Getrag 245 onto the engine, too. That naturally threw off the balance a good bit, by having a crapload of weight on only one side. I just put a large plastic tub underneath the end of the tranny, and the plastic tub caught it if it started to tip.

Of course, I've only done one rebuild, but no signs of weakness....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

i am one of those who would not get the three legged one. not stable when torquing big things down like crank nuts.

i have an hf four legged one. has held m10's and s14's for long periods of work no problem. someone in dc region borrowed it and has another m10 on it now.

clay? do you have it?

2xM3

i am one of those who would not get the three legged one. not stable when torquing big things down like crank nuts.

I had no problems torquing the flywheel or head bolts on the three legged one. Maybe it helped that I had it mounted sideways.... If you got crazy, sure there might be problems. But it's not that heavy of an engine, and you could catch it easily if it did start to tip. But even for rolling it around the garage at low speeds, it seemed stable as could be.

I actually didn't torque the crank nut until I put the engine in the car and had it in gear. Not sure why, but there was no reason to torque it right away.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Steve,

I have one (HF 3-leg) sitting idle up in Sac if you want to borrow it for a while. All my projects have the motors in them.

Snowball Rally weekend would be a good time to arrange for a pick up.

You can see it in my avatar up in the corner.

But what do I know

I hadn't used my stand for years until the spare motor was bolted up. I don't remember where I bought it - maybe Trak Auto.

The locating pin doesn't work too well when you rotate the engine 180 degrees. Major PITA with heavy engine.

pics11282010046.jpg

pics11272010020.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Rebuilt the motor using the three leg one, with coupon paid around $45. worked great currently storing old motor on it.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

post-210-13667658894986_thumb.jpg

post-210-13667658896486_thumb.jpg

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Here is my engine on a HF three wheel with a side mount. Mounting like this only requires one extra hole in the plate and you skip all of the fancy arms. You are bolting into the block with larger bolts and this way makes clutch work easy too. Can't beat the HF price...I'd probably spring for the 4 wheel version next time around as it would feel more stable when moving around the shop.

SDC10341.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

I have both the HF three leg and four leg stands.

Spend the extra $10.00 and get the four leg stand. When I was torquing something on the front of the motor I almost lost my S14 to a tipping incident.

There is a 25% off coupon out there right now.

Ken

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7