• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Locked, no Key, please pm or email....

FL02

Hi, trunk is locked, called a locksmith and he gave me the run around about it being a bmw (even a 69), looked on the FAQ and saw the 2x4 trick and some folks alluded to another trick to get it open. I want to spring it open and pull the lock cylinder to bring it to a locksmith, leave it and get a key cut. Please email minuteman1 at cfl.rr.com or PM me with any solutions you have on getting this trunk open. Please help, need to get my tools out of the trunk and fix my clutch pedal....

I've read about removing the license plate, running a coathanger up the grommet that lets the license plate wires light up, and carefully snaking it into the right part that engages the locking mechanism. I was able to do this on my 76 parts car, but only after punching out the tail light. But yours is a roundie so you may have to use the grommet trick.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

You don´t have speakers on the shelf above the back seat?

Done it that way once, removed a speaker, reached in with something and popped it open. (The popping-it-open took about an hour, I think, but I got it open=))

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

this happened to me 2 weeks ago. i tried the 2x4 method but no love. if i banged it any harder i'd have caved the tailpanel in. i do not recommend it. it would only work on a well lubricated lock mechanism.

i ended up removing one of the speakers from the rear deck. i happened to have a long rod with a small 'burr' on the end of it. you do not really need a hook, just something to catch the edge of the lever on the locking mechanism and pull forward. if you do not have rear speakers in the deck. you can accomplish the same thing by removing the rear seat and drilling a 5/8 -3/4 inch hole in your rear panel. use a flashlight to identify the locking mechanism lever. locate your drilling area at about mid-panel. if you already have holes, use them.

you could probably fashion a suitable pull-rod from a 36-48inch section of 3/8in rebar. file a notch at the end such that you create a burr similar to what is found on a fish-hook. i was able to pop mine open in about 45 seconds when i used this method.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thanks for the responses. I have speakers in the back and I recently removed my seat to check other solutions, so I'll probably remove the speakers and try to pop it that way. Am afraid of the 2x4 trick. The car is a 69 and the metal is a bit thin and I tend to be a bit ham-fisted. PM or email minuteman1 at cfl.rr.com any more 'secret' options.

update: can't PM, just email if you want to not broadcast the solution...... THX!

-->

Private messaging has been disabled on this board.

My suggestion would be to see if you can call a different locksmith and DON'T begin the conversation with anything including "BMW". Just say you have an older car (1969) with a simple push-button lock with the key entry in the center. Then if he asks the make you can say BMW. That way maybe you won't have scared him off before he thinks he should be able to do it. If you find one to do it, don't forget to get 2 keys.

Bob Napier

I did on my '76 project car that came with no key.

Removed the licence plate and inserted a long thin screwdriver through the wire/grommet hole. Took a few tries but it worked, to find a trunk full of rubbish.

post-498-1366765891039_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The tab on the latch, attaches on the passenger side and ends just a little over center, it needs to be pulled towards the front of the car. A loop in a coat hanger should work. You'll need to pull firmly.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Guest Anonymous

Since the lock problem for the trunk is common I did a permanent fix. I drilled a 1/8 dia. hole just to the right of the lock. (So small you don't see it unless you know ) Using a small philips screw driver insert it into the hole and push the lock lever forward. This will release the lock. The problem comes from the tang on the push button slipping behind the release lever so when you push in the button the tang misses the release lever. Unfortunately when you lock the trunk you rotate the tang then rotate it back when you unlock which can put the tang behind the release lever.

Have fun

Read this old thread about getting into locked '02 trunks before you try anything else... I have also recently made a bent screwdriver and fed it between the lid and trunk seal and although it scratched the paint inside the trunk a bit it worked like a charm.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,293689

Cheers and HTH,

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20