• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction and question

LarryS

Posted a few times but never introduced myself...

My name is Larry and I'm from San Antonio. When I was a teenager in the early eighties, I bought a 1970 2002. It had a strong engine but had a slew of other problems...Rust, bent frame, etc...But I did love that car.

I haven't thought much about them for the last couple of decades until I saw a picture of one over the internet. That lead me to search for more, which lead me here. (And the stance thread)

Not alot of 2002's here in SA which makes it hard to find one but will make it that much cooler when I do get one.

Which leads to my question...If I am interested in an out of state car, from a private party off of CL and I get a PPI (Most likely done from someone recommended by one of you) and decide to pull the trigger, How does the transaction take place? I don't want to give thousands to someone and trust them to send me a car, and they won't trust me to send them money after they send a car...

I know this happens all the time, I just don't know how.

Thanks.

72 Tii

Welcome to the board.

For transactions of this type, there are several ways you can handle it.

1. Drive, fly to where the car is and inspect it and buy it and drive or trailer it back.

2. Have a reputable place do the ppi like you suggested and have a 3rd party escrow type service handle the money transaction.

3. Or you have to trust one another with money/title/ transaction.

If possible, option 1 is probably best so you know what you are getting in person.

Pictures rarely tell the whole story.

When I bought mine, it was across the country and I did not think driving it over 2000 miles back was a good idea in the condition the car was in(sitting for almost 10 years) so I had a reputable place do the ppi along with a board member here looking it over and giving me the lowdown. Once that was done, the seller and I agreed on price and at that point we had built a rapport and I trusted the guy so I sent over a certified check and he sent me the title. Once I had the title, I set up the transport service. Car came as advertised and everyone was happy.

Good luck in your hunt and keep us updated

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

Hi Larry,

There's some '02 Owners in San Antonio (well, I'm 20 mile south), and a few on the Board here.

Good luck with your mission and keep in touch.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17