• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hazards work but blinkers dont

gli_ryan

Trying to diagnose my blinkers. The old relay was bad when I got this car and now I'm trying to get the blinkers to work. I swapped for an electronic flasher relay this morning and now the hazards are working, but not the individual blinkers. I checked continuity in the stalk and it seems to be functioning properly. Any ideas? Can't seem to find this same problem in searching.

Replace fuses, check bulbs, clean grounds and bulb housings. Mounting screws ground the fronts, rear ground is in trunk near on the rail between the spare tire and gas tank. Lots of info in the FAQ section. A fairly common issue. Try Site Search it works better than Forum Search.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I had the same issue. Found wires were installed backwards

on my front turn signal housings.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Also, Hazards are wired to work even with the ignition off (i.e. unswitched 12V), while the blinkers only work when ignition is on -- (different power source than the hazards) -- so check the fuses for the blinkers.

Byas

Thanks for the tips! The wiring could be backwards though in the front and cause this issue? Seems as though if they blink with the hazzards…they should blink with the blinker stalk. I'll give that a shot tomorrow as well as maybe work the grounds too. Just seems goofy that they do work, just not with the stalk.

Also the dash light never comes on for the blinkers, however not sure if there is a bulb in it or not currently.