• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting a car back together after painting

dudem3

Has anyone compiled some sort of checklist of what to install first when putting a car back together after painting. There are obvious things like putting the headliner in before the front and rear windshield, but it would suck to have to take stuff apart because I put it back together in the wrong order. Additionally, is there a restoration book or any other resource that helps with how stuff is installed. We didn't take anywhere near the amount of pics we should have when we were taking ours apart.

The Haynes manual tells you how it's done- Assembly is a reverse of removal.

I'm going to be in the same boat as this when it comes to assembling my M3. You never have enough pictures. I anticipate having to re-install some parts. Luckily, all the parts will be clean and presh, if not new, when performing this task.

About the only tip I can give you is to attach anything that lies flat against a body panel first.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Do it as soon as you can - before what recollection you have fades. I've done this a couple of times, but the advantage I have is my wife and I drive nearly identical cars, so I can just go over and look at the whole one when I have a question. I think you'll find it pretty intuitive, and that most of it doesn't matter what order you utilize. That's my experience.

Good luck, and get us some pics when it's all done.

Bob Napier

post-210-13667659163682_thumb.jpg

Do all your subframe stuff out of the car, then bolt up the subs with motor on front. Dash before glass as well. Glass is pretty much last.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Ugh...I'm in the same boat. I've rebuilt the subs and reinstalled those, with braking systems, then I'll be doing little things like the gas tank, pedal box, heater box, getting the engine ready for rebuild, then headliner, rear glass and windows/trim,.....basically, there's plenty to do before the engine is done, so I'll work everything I can until the motor comes home...then I'll start playing with intake, dual 40's, wiring, wiring, wiring,....interior continues as parts come in...carpet, recover the seats, seat belts, door mechanicals, door cards, trunk, locks, trunk panels, fuel lines, rear lights, license plate lights, bumpers, trim, wow....I just freaked myself out.... how am I going to get this done....ha! Everything is either thoroughly cleaned and painted or replaced...I am swimming in boxes of parts, new and old....

my wife loves me...or hates me....I can't see her over this box of weatherstripping.....;-)

GL!!

Stephen

I got my car back from paint on 12/31. I started working nights and weekends in an attempt to travel to MidAmerica02fest next week. I'm ALMOST done. I can tell you that having my unmolested 1600 sitting next to the project was invaluable. There is no manual for this sort of thing, I bagged and tagged everything, but memories fade and things go missing, especially if more than a year has passed. Study the parts diagrams, buy new hardware or refurbish when possible and take it slow. I found that I had 5-6 project areas going at the same time--sometimes necessary, but makes it hard to realize you are making progress. Good luck and wish me luck--I have about 10 more hours to go before next Tuesday night's deadline. Sneak Peek:

374007_10150746865974322_756539321_8989949_574136817_n.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

Depending on how much you want to do, I'd say do the underneath the car stuff first.

a few pointers:

1. If you are going to put the foam deal on the outside of your Pedal Box before you put up the subframe and engine.

2. If you are rebuilding your shifter, do that before you install the driveshaft.

3. Install all your wiring, stereo speakers, battery relocation (if applicable), and sound deadening before the carpets and door panels.

4. All the under dash stuff before the front seats.

5. All the firewall, wiring stuff before the engine.

Good luck.

74 2002 Restore/Upgrade Project - M2

08 Alpina B7

on reassembling all that stuff on my '69 after it came back from the paint shop. With some pieces, order of reattachment doesn't really matter, but with other parts, it definitely does. If you're interested, drop me an e-mail and Ill send you a copy.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite