• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

01 xterra

bueller

anyone have any experiences good or bad with one? any particular issues i should inquire about? my bro in law is selling his and my wife and i are very interested in it as a replacement for our 1991 4runner with 263k on the clock. the xterra has about 125k and was he and his wife's first car purchase together and he's babied it.

i think it's an SE trim package and it's a 4x4 with auto. he added some nice ARB bumpers with the spare hanging off the back and an offroad jack, and some small driving/fog lights. even has a cb radio! it's also a nice limited run color that i like. he may remove the lift depending on what my wife wants. he had it listed for $7500 but we'll be working out some family deal i'm sure. it will be my wife's car for around town while i commute in the golf.

pics attached.

tia,

matt

post-12435-13667659177569_thumb.jpg

post-12435-13667659179398_thumb.jpg

post-12435-13667659180962_thumb.jpg

FAQ member #4044

Matt,

My ex-wife has one. She likes it. My son says it is ok(he likes my old crappy 4runner with 325K on it better because the top comes off... Have the motor of the 4runner rebuilt and get ready to go 500k on the body unless it is like mine and at some point was back east in the winter where they use salt. Mine is starting to show a few little rust spots.

Russ

1970 Grey 02 (the never ending project)
2007 328xi coupe (DD)

and a couple hondas for the kid.

Personally I'd keep the 4runner. VERY good rigs, and you can work on em..

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

we have sentimental ties to the runner, and it has been a good car. reliable but slow! but it's becoming too much for us to keep pursuing. the engine is actually doing really well (has a slow rear main seal leak), but lacks power (even less that the original 3.0L). but other things like the a/c, auto tranny, etc are all due for service. tranny's been rebuilt once, but it sat at my in-laws' house for a couple years until my wife put $4k into it to get it running. she replaced the cooling system, new shocks/springs, a/c work, etc, before bringing it to denver. since 07, we've put another ~$3k into it doing ball joints, wheel bearings etc. i don't have room or time for my wife to not have a daily drivable car. body is great (could use a respray on the hood/roof since moving to denver in Nov 07), but was a dallas commuting car before then. we've only put about 30k on it since moving out here.

we shall see. thanks for the input, guys.

if you know of anyone in the market, send them my way. we're thinking in the $3k range to be fair.

matt

FAQ member #4044