• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White steelies?

MattL

While I prepare to torch my bell housing to free the captive slave cylinder (paroled after 38 years!), my mind is wandering to more aesthetic concerns. The car's a long way from the road, but I'm mighty sick of looking at the gnarly stock steelies every time I open the garage. They're going to need a refinish/repaint, that's for certain (rust spots, etc.), and the how-to posts I've found via the search are sure to be helpful. My question, though, is whether anybody has painted their 13" steel wheels white. If so, how'd they turn out?

I'm never going anywhere near a concours event with this car. The navy blue respray over amazonas (and the copious rust) made that decision for me. And since originality is not a concern, I just think the white might give those tired rims some interest against the blue.

Any and all comments welcome and appreciated.

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Not exactly the same, but I did have a set of mini wheels in white that I Put on my car for a day. (pics in the stance thread) I wasn't feeling it with the brown paint, but maybe real BMW wheels in white would look good with your car. Post up a pic of the car as it is now and maybe someone can photoshop it white for you.

Also where in NJ are you? That brings the 2002 tally to at least 5 confirmed in NJ so far! Haha

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

Just my opinion...

White will show all dirt, brake dust, and when the rust (that you cant get rid of it all) wants to bleed through, it'll look like dookey. Learned that word from the neighbor kid.

Look how good CD's anthracite car looks with the dark charcoal steel wheels...I think the blue would as well. Show him a picture CD....CD?...

Dave V. in NC

Hi Scott. I actually did see those pics in the stance thread, now that you mention it. I'll take another look.

The car's up on jack stands right now, for the aforementioned surgery, but I'll get some photos taken when she's back down on solid ground.

I'm in Collingswood, just outside Philadelphia. What about you?

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Hi Scott. I actually did see those pics in the stance thread, now that you mention it. I'll take another look.

The car's up on jack stands right now, for the aforementioned surgery, but I'll get some photos taken when she's back down on solid ground.

I'm in Collingswood, just outside Philadelphia. What about you?

I'm about 10 minutes north of New Brunswick. There is also a dude with an 02 in South River here on the forums, and another guy building one now. We should all do a NJ meetup sometime, maybe at the shore or something later this summer

Good idea. I've got to get crackin' then, if I'm going to get on the road in time. Rotted frame rail and rockers may keep her on the bench, though.

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

There is a few of us.. if anyone is interested, I can get a drive organized BEFORE V@V.

let me know...

I'm down to meet up anytime. Just have to get my car back from the shop where some important welding is going on right now - anytime from may onward is good with me!