• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacing front bushings, problem with one bushing

flyingjolly

The ones on the left were aftermarket and the ones on the right are BMW. Both from Blunttech.com.

Ok, thanks!

As I said mine looks like the one on the left (bought from Walloth & Nesch), but yesterday I asked them about the price of wishbones and now they are on their way. Should have done that from the start..

Not sure about the quality, got one of the W & N bushings in almost in one piece and it felt really soft. Their parts seem to be of decent quality otherwise, I´ll give these a try, if not satisfied I´ll rebush with BMW bushings.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

I encountered the same problem with that bushing not fitting, no matter what was used to insert it including a 10 ton hydraulic press. Oh, and I broke my bench vise trying to use it as a press. Brilliant. The reason they didn't fit was simple: the bushing was the wrong one, even though it was sent in a bag with the correct part number. The picture shows the difference. Again, exact same part #.

I had the exact same problem. Make sure to ask for OEM bushings only. You want the bushings that say "BOGE" on them.

I just had the same problem last week. Ordered the outer bushings from Blunt about a year ago. I went to press them them in using 1/2" threaded rod, washers, nuts, and a socket to draw them into, and ended up tearing both of them. Outer rubber peeled back like a banana peel and wouldn't go in. I already have the inner ones pressed in, and the control arms sand blasted and POR 15'd, so I'm not ordering complete control arms this time around. I didn't realize that was an option prior to this endeavor. Anyway, I ordered another set from Blunt on Monday and will give it another go. I may grind down the lip on one side of both bushings and see if that helps. I used plenty of lube the first time around too, but the inside diameter of the control arm measures smaller than the smallest part of the outside diameter of the bushing....If they were ordered from anyone but Blunt, I would be inclined to say I had the wrong part, but measurement confirmation from him on another set makes me confident that I was sent the correct part. They're just a bear to press in.... Oh, and these weren't aftermarket.... Original BMW parts from BMW.

well another school of thought with that arm being so cheep

and available that you simply buy the arm which includes nice new tight rubber bushings installed - because the condition of most 40

year old arms is toast from towing hooks, lifting, rusting, bending

And some need replacing just because they are the early weaker design

time is money

If only someone had told me this before I started this whole affair... and yes, I searched the archives before getting started with this, and had already purchased new bushings. I was lucky enough to come across some refurbed control arms, thanks to the boys over at SCR, so mine are clean and straight - just needed bushings, which I already had!! Lucky me, right?? Nope.

Hey Blunt - before someone buys bushings from you, you should say.. "hey, why don't you buy new control arms?? Just a thought.

I've been trying to get these bastards in for the last four days, and I've got the scars to prove it.

This is my least favorite thing I've ever done on my car so far - and I did the shifter platform rebuild on my back last summer....

So - tips for installing control arm bushings.... BUY NEW CONTROL ARMS!!!!

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

well another school of thought with that arm being so cheep

and available that you simply buy the arm which includes nice new tight rubber bushings installed - because the condition of most 40

year old arms is toast from towing hooks, lifting, rusting, bending

And some need replacing just because they are the early weaker design

time is money

Amen, c.d. - right as usual.

If only someone had told me this before I started this whole affair... and yes, I searched the archives before getting started with this, and had already purchased new bushings. I was lucky enough to come across some refurbed control arms, thanks to the boys over at SCR, so mine are clean and straight - just needed bushings, which I already had!! Lucky me, right?? Nope.

Hey Blunt - before someone buys bushings from you, you should say.. "hey, why don't you buy new control arms?? Just a thought.

I've been trying to get these bastards in for the last four days, and I've got the scars to prove it.

This is my least favorite thing I've ever done on my car so far - and I did the shifter platform rebuild on my back last summer....

So - tips for installing control arm bushings.... BUY NEW CONTROL ARMS!!!!

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I just had the same problem last week. Ordered the outer bushings from Blunt about a year ago. I went to press them them in using 1/2" threaded rod, washers, nuts, and a socket to draw them into, and ended up tearing both of them. Outer rubber peeled back like a banana peel and wouldn't go in.

That is nearly exactly what happened to me too. Did the bushings last year and they tore up just like the pictures.

I highly suggest just buying the whole new control arm (w/ bushings installed). Specially since your control arm is likely dinged up anyway.

I'll say this again and elaborate, the other option to a new arm is urathane such as superflex - they are barely harder than new rubber - and are not the incredibly hard track stuff that Ireland and others sell. So no extra noise or vibration, no squeaking and a 30 second install.

http://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=92

Hopefully the new arm/different bush info here will save others grief in the future, although I'm sure it's all been said before - should be an FAQ rather than relying on people finding it through a search.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg