• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New interior?

stricht8

I have a nice rear seat, (tobacco color) upper and lower (material only) along with matching 4 door cards and armrests for a '73 to make it period correct.

Email me off my tab and let's talk.

72 Tii 2761525 Fjord- sunroof

73 Tii 2762870 Malaga- sunroof

73 Tii 2763356 Atlantic- sunroof

73 Tii 2763815 Fjord- sunroof

• 2 years later...

It's been a while and I'm revisiting this topic. Does anyone know if the carpet in my 73 2002 is German loop or square weave?

Also with a tan interior, what would the actual carpet color name be?

loop...it's a fiction that square weave wool was used in any o2....unless of course, it was a fluke

Hi,

if it´s a 73 it should have a brown interior and not what is generally referred to as tan in US. Should come close to this:

post-36854-0-67311200-1399801240_thumb.j

post-36854-0-20252300-1399801255_thumb.j

For real tan interiors in the square backlight cars the carpet came one-piece (OK, two with the bit below the backseat) from factory and was a bit lighter. Can only find a tan picture of an Euro spec Lux car at the moment, carpet is special Velours here but standard cars had the loop one.

post-36854-0-46686700-1399801732_thumb.j

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Thanks. Well I guess it is kind of brown or a dark tan? It looks like the color in the top picture.

On another note, the carpet has a light gray binding. I spoke with World Upholstery the other day and they are not familiar with carpet bindings being of a different color as the carpet. They suggested that my carpet may have been a factory special order?

1973 2002 Verona Red

Thanks Esty. I will check the binding more thoroughly but it appears to be a consistent grey making me be skeptical about fading. Is this binding material available in grey should I want to duplicate this?

1973 2002 Verona Red

I´d agree to what Esty says with the binding (how couldn´t I BTW ;) ).

It´s about the same with the original tissue for the seats from those brown interiors. People always ask me for "the white tissue to replace the worn one on my seats". But original color as new from factory wasn´t white, it was brown in a color very close to the vinyl. Just about no one today has ever seen an interior in still original conditions anymore because the process of fading was taking place very fast and already ten year old cars had their seats in perfect white back in the time.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm still struggling trying to find the correct carpet for my car. I've attached several pics of what appears to be the original carpet. You can also see the mystery grey binding. I also attached a pic of a sample of German loop sent to me by World Upholstery. The stuff from Gahh appears very similar to the World stuff as well. Having looked at samples of Esty's stuff online, it doesn't appear to match what's in my car either.

The World stuff has larger, looser loops than what's in my car. It also has a more disorganized type of weave as well as two different shades of yarn woven into the carpet. My carpet has only one shade, has smaller loops arranged in a more grid like pattern. Not sure what to do at this point.

post-39401-0-81323700-1401402795_thumb.j

post-39401-0-30957200-1401403241_thumb.j

post-39401-0-76345400-1401403274_thumb.j

post-39401-0-81832200-1401403348_thumb.j

1973 2002 Verona Red

So I'm still struggling trying to find the correct carpet for my car. I've attached several pics of what appears to be the original carpet. You can also see the mystery grey binding. I also attached a pic of a sample of German loop sent to me by World Upholstery. The stuff from Gahh appears very similar to the World stuff as well. Having looked at samples of Esty's stuff online, it doesn't appear to match what's in my car either.
The World stuff has larger, looser loops than what's in my car. It also has a more disorganized type of weave as well as two different shades of yarn woven into the carpet. My carpet has only one shade, has smaller loops arranged in a more grid like pattern. Not sure what to do at this point.

Sadly, after 40+ years it's unlikely that you'll ever find an exact match to original carpet used in any BMW from that vintage...a host of reasons can explain why you can't

i sell a carpet similar to your carpet but it's probably a lesser quality that what was originally used....as any carpet used today is perhaps a lesser quality...as manufacturers try to keep the prices down/stable they often tend "cheapen" or "lighten" the product

anyway here's what i can get in a host of colors and IMHO, your binding was originally a taupe/tan color, regardless of what color it appears to be after 40+ years of exposure to UV, chemicals, farts, and who knows what else

FWIW...there are only a small circle of manufacturers...one that manufactures the same square weave wool that's sold by GAHH, World Upholstery or any place else you find it...and a couple of others that manufacture the imported and domestic loop carpets (synthetic)....i'm referring strictly to the few carpets vendors that you've limited yourself to...they all get there materials from the same place

2v1xi4w.jpg

xbe6v7.jpg

Thanks Esty. I'm seeing that sourcing the correct material is becoming a challenge. I wanted to keep as much original carpet as possible and only replace the badly worn and or missing pieces. This may not be possible without being able to source the same material. Retaining some of the old is more about preserving originality rather than money saving.

1973 2002 Verona Red

Esty - do you have anything resembling the old carpet in my 69?  Looks kind of like an "oatmeal".  PM me to discuss my color combination - I'm sure you can suggest something for my car.

IMG_7009.jpg

Very worn out passenger side carpet

IMG_7020.jpg

IMG_7104.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"