• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

control arm bushing "oops".

wegweiser

Since I don't have the money for two brand new BMW control arms, and I've fought the fight with insertion of the rubber bushings a few years ago, I decided to get a set of urethane arm and front subframe bushings from the good folks at Ireland Engineering. I dreaded going with urethane ones because I HATE HATE HATE the squeaky noises they sometimes make.

I got 'em and called up Andrew ("Ace") with a question:

"BMW says all 4 bushings in the arms are all the same part number. I know this from selling them for years, myself back in the 90s, yet the ones you sent came in two different sizes!"

I peeked under my car during my lunch hour and at first glance, the inboard bolts look the same size as the diameter of the drag arms (brake reaction arms, thrust arms...whatever people are calling them these days) so I thought I had a problem.

I called up Andrew and we both scratched out heads for a minute or two as I explained my concern. Turns out BMW is WRONG, and indeed, the inner diameter of the inboard bushing MUST be larger and SHOULD be a different part number...but it isn't!

Boy do I feel dumb! Thanks Andrew for making me feel less stupid!

The bushings are in (took me about 2 hours on the floor since the lift was occupied) and the improvement is DRAMATIC. I thought the car handled reasonably well before, but the overall feel is MUCH better and NO SQUEAKING ...yet! (thanks to liberal application of the bushing lube). Stops straight as an arrow, too...no more pulling to one side.

I'll say it again: Support vendors like Ireland because they take the time to research, design, and create items no one else would bother. We need 'em, and they need us!

post-2748-13667659482871_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

part# 31 12 2 614 100 - inner bushing - 2 required

part# 31 12 1 112 902 - outer bushing - 2 required

for some reason BMW doesn't show together on the same parts manual page.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Les-

Apparently I've completely lost my "parts guy Mojo"...perhaps due to my recent parts sourcing on misc generic car parts vendors' websites where only one part number was shown....still - I should know better. *slaps forehead*

Thanks for setting me straight. :-)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Les-

Apparently I've completely lost my "parts guy Mojo"...perhaps due to my recent parts sourcing on misc generic car parts vendors' websites where only one part number was shown....still - I should know better. *slaps forehead*

Thanks for setting me straight. :-)

I went through this a while back Paul. The parts book page only showed one number so I got 4 of them. Having taken everything apart I realised the inner & outer were different. Went back to the parts book and found the second page with the other part number.

Why BMW didn't have them both on the same page I do not know.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

How do I tell if they are wrong in my car?

If you got them on the car in the first place, then you've either got them on right or are strength training for the upcoming olympics. The inner bushing has the fatter ends and slides onto the 16mmx1.5 subframe bolt, the outer has thinner ends and slides onto the radius (or whatever) rod (14mmx1.5).

controlarm.jpg

I just got done cleaning up a yard bought subframe and fighting to get the bushings out. As you can see I started cutting away the bushings. How did you get them out so easily? Is there a special tool you use? I was thinking if using a c-clamp to push them out.

I was planning to get the urethane material as well for a replacement.:)

Any Info is appreciated...

post-2748-13667659568485_thumb.jpg

post-2748-13667659569162_thumb.jpg

2002cool2

I just got done cleaning up a yard bought subframe and fighting to get the bushings out. As you can see I started cutting away the bushings. How did you get them out so easily? Is there a special tool you use? I was thinking if using a c-clamp to push them out.

I was planning to get the urethane material as well for a replacement.:)

Any Info is appreciated...

If you have access to a torch, you can heat the inner steel cylinder. After a couple minutes it will drop out, and then you can push out what's left of the melted rubber insert. Then, careful use of a sawzall will let you cut the steel casing that is left in the arm. Make two parallel cuts, and the use a drift or punch to hammer the casing inwards slightly to decrease it's diameter, and you can push it out of the arm.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT