• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie going to look at a BMW 1600

kk550

Hello all,

I'm new to this process but a longtime BMW 1600, 1800, 2002 tii etc admirer waiting for the chance to take the big leap into ownership.

I'm going this weekend to checkout a '67 1600 with a 1974 M10 engine (70K miles since rebuild) with the 5-speed conversion. Owner says its setup to be a daily driver, weber 32/36 carb, electric ignition, and all the service records and apparently no rust.

Anything in particular I should keep an eye out for? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

+1 C.D.

There is no such thing as a real world 'rust free' '02 or CS coupe without complete disassembly and replacement metal. Unless 'rust free' means no charge for it.

Have to realistically assess what I call 'rust tolerance' when it comes to looking/purchasing. If you are interested in the car have it checked by a knowledgeable 3rd party who knows '02s, it could save you thousands. Look here http://www.bimrs.org/2008MapPage.html

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

There are some key places to look at for rust: Rear shock towers are obvious, also look at the front shock towers. See if you can pullup the carpets to look at the floors. Escpecially in the front around the pedal box. Look under the car where the front frame rails join to the unibody at the front floor boards. Underneath in the back where the rear suspension is attached to the unibody. Also down in the engine bay where the front frame rails are located. If you see rust in these places, count on MAJOR dollars to fix. Some other areas include rockers, spare tire well, front fenders, bottom of doors. Those can be cheaper to replace but you can still run into money. It is all about how much you are willing to spend & want to do. I've been there & done that! My 1600 has excellent structural areas that have never been touched (that does not mean there is no rust there), but I have replaced the front fenders, both rockers and the rear wheel arches twice, and the bottomhalf of both doors once. Part of the drivers rear floorboards and small areas of the hood and trunk lids. Been painted twice & after the second time, I retired the car to nice days in the summer. It no longer even sees rain if I can help it. That has really helped to preserve the 2nd restoration that was done about 15 years ago. Good luck & post some pictures if you have the chance!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

There are some key places to look at for rust: Rear shock towers are obvious, also look at the front shock towers. See if you can pullup the carpets to look at the floors. Escpecially in the front around the pedal box. Look under the car where the front frame rails join to the unibody at the front floor boards. Underneath in the back where the rear suspension is attached to the unibody. Also down in the engine bay where the front frame rails are located. If you see rust in these places, count on MAJOR dollars to fix. Some other areas include rockers, spare tire well, front fenders, bottom of doors. Those can be cheaper to replace but you can still run into money. It is all about how much you are willing to spend & want to do. I've been there & done that! My 1600 has excellent structural areas that have never been touched (that does not mean there is no rust there), but I have replaced the front fenders, both rockers and the rear wheel arches twice, and the bottomhalf of both doors once. Part of the drivers rear floorboards and small areas of the hood and trunk lids. Been painted twice & after the second time, I retired the car to nice days in the summer. It no longer even sees rain if I can help it. That has really helped to preserve the 2nd restoration that was done about 15 years ago. Good luck & post some pictures if you have the chance!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Thank you all for the help! I will post pics if I end up taking it home.

Suggest you post pictures BEFORE you decide to take it home.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Gee, I'm blushing. That article was meant to be a fairly basic what to look for list, but better than nothing. Thanks, Paul! I thought you bailed out of the 2002 world a while ago, but nice to see you're back!

I'm well and in the Chicago area, and obviously still haven't grown up.

vince