• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RPM Needle on Dash Bounces???

etk2002

Hi Everyone,

On my car, when I shift gears, the RPM needle jumps up well beyond the desired RPM and then bounces back to the normal status. When I down shift while rev matching, it bounces all the way to 6k even if I'm actually going only to about 3k-4k.

As mentioned, it does settle down after a few seconds. I also don't have my speedo working right now. The previous owner said the cable to the 5-speed trans is probably loose, so not sure if that's something easy to look at and fix.

1975 BMW 2002 - Absolutely Unique Imola Red Classic
2011 BMW F10 550i - Daily Driver
2010 Mercedes GL450 - Kiddie hauler

Gen 2 Dodge Viper GTS & 996 Porsche 911 Turbo - "I just wanted to hear the turbos whistle"

I thought I had read somewhere that bouncing tach was indicator of a condensor issue -- but I'm not sure if this is right or not.

Regarding the speedo -- When a 5 spd conversion is done you also need a longer speedo cable from an automatic model as the 5spd gbox is a bit longer. So, that may be why the speedo is not connected -- current cable may be too short.

If the differential was changed, then the speedo itself needs to be changed or recalibrated.

Byas