• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you tell your spouse....

jgerock

I think my wife would like to tell Craig to shove his list! Then I would not bother her with "look a 1965 land rover for only $900.00 and not in too bad a shape!" (two days ago and it did not last the day) or "check this out a Fiat 850 just down the road" (yesterday)...............Gotta go, something new is sure to be listed........

'69 1600 M42

'13 500 Abarth

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jim,

Man do I hear you. My wife finally put her foot down!

The tii going thru restoration, along with a new race motor being assembled in the garage, means she is parking outside next to the daily driver Polaris tii and the Sahara that is being converted to Side drafts. (The race car is in the trailer in front of the house ) I can't understand why she refuse's every time I bring up the idea of a touring tii?

I still have it in hiding, and I have only seen it once!

I feel the pain, Mark

73tii

I'm pretty lucky to have a supportive spouse. I like to think that a big part of her support comes from the fact that I chose my battles (and projects) carefully, but the truth is that it's because she understands me. She understands how important this hobby is to me. She understands my need to physically build, repair or fabricate a useful item with my hands. She understands that maintaining and modifying this car is a positive, healthy hobby that satisfies my need to learn, grow and live. She understands that keeping this car alive keeps a part of me alive, and she knows that that is important to me.

She doesn't flinch when I mention that I need to work on the car and she asks me about it, even though I know that she doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about when I respond. So, when I talk about buying a part or starting a project, it's probably something that's going to give me a sense of worth, accomplishment and peace, and she knows that I need that. She's a good woman and a Hell of a good passenger.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I'm pretty lucky to have a supportive spouse. I like to think that a big part of her support comes from the fact that I chose my battles (and projects) carefully, but the truth is that it's because she understands me. She understands how important this hobby is to me. She understands my need to physically build, repair or fabricate a useful item with my hands. She understands that maintaining and modifying this car is a positive, healthy hobby that satisfies my need to learn, grow and live. She understands that keeping this car alive keeps a part of me alive, and she knows that that is important to me.

So, when I talk about buying a part or starting a project, it's probably something that's going to give me a sense of worth, accomplishment and peace, and she knows that I need that. She's a good woman and a Hell of a good passenger.

If you posted this knowing that she checks this forum, then you sir, are a "real man of genius."

Tell us more about the 1600ti

Just added another car to my inventory.

Neighbor told me about a 76 1 owner car owned be a teacher.

Had to pick it up make sure it goes to a good home.

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

Pigpen- I here you

I have had the 71 riviera blue car in hiding for almost a year.

Verona tii still in P&B ...she knows about this one put may have forgotten about it since it's been gone tmso long.

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold

My wife came home from work one day to discover a new (to me) 2002 race car in the garage. Already having one race car, she said...." One of the three of you has to go". End of discussion. Tim Murray got a nice race car.

Bob

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

I started a thread a few weeks back about wanting to buy a 2nd O2. I tried to casually mention it to my GF last week, and I definitely got a lot of flack from it =)

One tactic I have come up with is to tell her it is only a "cheap parts car" to help with my current project, and that I will take the good parts off and re-sell it.

Then, for some mysterious reason, my unreasonably high asking price causes no-one to buy it. Guess I will have to keep it a little longer, hon. ;)

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002

My wife used to be more tolerant, but I think the E28 M5 I got was the end of that. I tried to be cheap in buying one and it came back and bit me in the end. Now I can only have one old car at a time and since I can't bring myself to sell the tii...

I did find one way out though now that my kids are getting older. I got a 97 318ti a couple weeks ago for my oldest son. Not "old" by any means, but it gives me something else to work on from time to time.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

My wife used to be more tolerant, but I think the E28 M5 I got was the end of that. I tried to be cheap in buying one and it came back and bit me in the end.

I hear this.

My first Porsche was broken down all the time. At least once a month. And, it was about $1000 every time we took it to the mechanic.

It was 5 years before I could get my wife to not cringe at the word "Porsche".

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

The first solution that comes to mind-

You say: "I'm getting this one for a parts car."

You get the car, take a few parts off to put on your car. Slowly 'realize' that this parts car is actually pretty good and would be pretty easy to restore.

Second solution-

You say: "What kind of old car would you like for yourself, honey?"

You get one of those to build for her. It makes her happy and satisfies your wrenching bug. (It also gives you a chance to order parts for other cars at the same time as doing her project)

Third solution-

You say: "I'm the man and I'll do what I damn well please."

You then buy a comfy couch to sleep on and ask Armond what kind of purse his wife carries.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes