• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Fuel Tank Question

ChuckinNC

There were THREE different tanks used on the US tii cars:

a) 46 liter with TWIST IN pickup and sending unit used until VIN 2761963

B) 46 liter with BOLT IN pickup and twist in sending unit from VIN 2761964-2764369

c) 51 liter with BOLT IN pickup and twist in sending unit from VIN 2764370 onward.

Similar capacity changes occurred in the carb'd cars during this period (USA mid 73 as I recall) tii tanks are indeed different, as they have the extra hole for the fuel pickup unit, naturlich!

Hope this helps!

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Thank you Paul,

I am trying to locate the source of fuel smell in the trunk of my car. Which of the two tank holes would most likely be the cause ... the bolt in flanged one, or the twist in. I have had them both out and resealed them, but the odor persists. I don't think it is the rubber filler neck,as it doesn't pass the sniff test. The tank was pressure tested, and pronounced OK. Any thoughts on where to look next ?

Chuck

Chuck in NC

I have the same smell issue in my 74Tii. I've replaced the ring around the twist-in sender and the one around the bolt in pickup. Reduced, but still there.

I'm wondering if it is from a leaking vapor expansion tank. Will pressure test the tank sometime.

Byas

I hunted down the same issues, replaced both seal rings with NEW ones. (BTW: trying to RTV or liquid-gasket them is the wrong fix). New seals are relatively cheap and available.

In my case - and I bet YOURS as well - it was the fuel filler rubber neck. Looked perfect until I removed it from the car and flipped it upside down. Only when stretching it slightly with my fingers, did I see the hairline cracks on the UNDERSIDE. These are not cheap, but it solved my problem and made the car a joy to drive again! ***

Check all blue / 8mm vapor return lines also of course.

***If you decide to remove the filler boot for inspection, make a note of the TOP of the metal retainer collar and paper seal behind it. The 4 screws that hold it to the quarter panel are NOT symmetrically placed! This took me over half an hour to figure out, years ago..."wha? I can get one screw lined up but the others are wrong....wait! now the OTHER screw fits, but the first one doesn't? Grrrrrgh!"

post-1011-1366765960574_thumb.jpg

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Finished working on my gas fumes issues today. I need to examine my tank as well and figure out if it needs to be pulled and POR15ed.

First problem was a very distraught filler neck. It was basically not there.

Instead of ordering the paper gasket, I picked up a roll of DIY paper gasket material used for water pumps at Autozone.

I found the next issue by accident cleaning out the back seat. One of my return lines was crushed by the seat at some point. I fixed that using a pen cut in half for now.

As everyone else noted. Trace everything.

1972 BMW Tii - Malaga gone Verona