• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear fog light on 73 tii

Clint

Looking for some input / guidance / rants (all welcome) regarding the fog light mounted on the rear bumper.

1. Should it be round or rectangular?

2. Should it be circuited with front fog / driving lights or switched independently?

3. Where should the switch be located?

4. Any other info?

Thanks.

Looking for some input / guidance / rants (all welcome) regarding the fog light mounted on the rear bumper.

2. Should it be circuited with front fog / driving lights or switched independently?

4. Any other info?

Thanks.

1. I believe it was a Euro-only option, BMW dealer installed HELLA light, available round or rectangular

2. Switched independently

3. Switch is to the right side of the ashtray, illuminated switch so you see when it's on.

4. My car had one, I removed it, thought it looked ugly (previous owner had switched it as a third brake light)

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Like Dirk said.

However, the parts book shows only a rectangular one.

Two choices, one by Hella and one by ULO.

The BMW accessory brochure of the era shows two also, one rectangular and one square. Used to have a pic, but can't find it now.

post-16783-13667659618243_thumb.png

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I love the look of a round shaped one on a roundie. My daughter bought me a vintage Hella (round) for my 73. I purchased a switch and relay from this forum to wire it as a third brake light that can also be switched on. Have not installed yet. I have had a few close calls here in Cali with texting drivers, hope the third light helps. Do a search on the forum and you will see some set-ups.

Bill

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)

Not sure who I can credit for this picture or who's car this is but I found it on the faq at one time and liked the look so much I saved it for future reference. I suspect it is a old Hella. I really like it.

post-16783-13667659623806_thumb.jpg

I've researched this while sorting my Italian delivery '73 3.0 CSi, Athena. Thinking my coupe should have one, it's wired for it and the integral rear panel light is really cool. Found my rear panel had not been cut for integral installation.

I learned from E9 forum members...In some areas of Europe rear fogs are not legal, required or necessary. Though the car is European delivery, doesn't mean it originally came with it. All coupes are wired for it.

It comes down to preference.

Does your center console have a green 'blank' to the right of the ash tray? That's where the fog light switch goes. La Jolla Independent, Casey Motorsports or a FAQer, may have a switch or a green button if you don't. Can use an extra hazard switch if you find a button, unscrew the button, screw on the green one.

If you have real fog lights you use in fog, wire fronts and rear to switch. Possible dual use with a 2 filament bulb like the turn signals fog/brake?

As a 3rd brake light, use alligator clips to connect to tail light terminal. In my opinion, 3rd brake lights should be mounted high at the top of the rear window.

What you decide to do is 100% up to you.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I've often wondered why my car came with a plugged hole in the rear panel when others I've seen don't have it. This car was imported into Canada in late 1972. European spec for fog light?

Also, there is a loop of unused wire at the rear of the transmission that looks as if it is optional and would connect to something similar to the reverse switch on the transmission. Never researched, but maybe now's the time.

Paul Winterton

Vancouver, BC

73 Inka Tii, #2762958

14tr2uc.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

3241912 has a square on left rear with iluminated switch . From the dealer 4head light system and sunroof pop ups ala porsche

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

4. Any other info?

Thanks.

1- yes

2- yes

3- where you can reach it

4- yes

Don't mount the light low like I did my first one. Backing around on a narrow road, the lamp met the road- road won.

Keep an eye out on ebay. Look for red lamp, rear fog lamp, red fog lamp, etc... I scored two chrome body Hellas for $100. Kept one, sold the other to a FAQer. They are out there.

I do believe the early cars have the pass-thru grommet in the back panel. At least my 72 does.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I do believe the early cars have the pass-thru grommet in the back panel. At least my 72 does.

My 73tii has the grommit in the rear valence panel and a filled hole in the bumper. The "green" pushbutton that was in the shifter console was moved to the Behr A/C panel (was a "dummy") for the front fog/driving lights. The remaining hole in the shift console now has a USB input to my stereo.

Before

32109019.jpg

2272010003.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

That hole / grommet in the rear valence panel is for the routing of European license plate lighting wiring. Perhaps also useable for rear fog/etc. Remember: Euro tag lights mounted IN the rear bumper and pointed UP! Not those horizontal warts us Americans got saddled with. :-/

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

That hole / grommet in the rear valence panel is for the routing of European license plate lighting wiring. Perhaps also useable for rear fog/etc. Remember: Euro tag lights mounted IN the rear bumper and pointed UP! Not those horizontal warts us Americans got saddled with. :-/

Correct!....and trailer wiring!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

that looks my Baroness but the wheels is on the wrong side

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool