• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74TII IGNITION/FUEL SETUP HELP

Let me start by saying that I feel like an ass on this one, and I still need some help please. I had two previous threads going on the ignition timing and the KF setup, and thought it may be easier to start fresh, so here goes:

I did the whole KF set up and set the CO's at 5% at 4,500rpm and 2.5% at idle. The timing was set at 2,400rpm with the ball and the dwell at 60deg. The car somehow still didn't run smoothly. Over the weekend, a mate pointed out that the car sounded as though it was running on three cylinders, and sure enough, the number 3 plug was dead. I put in a new set of Bosch plugs and tried again.

She wouldn't start, but would conitnue to run on as if she wanted to, but just wouldn't fire. I loosened the distributor and turned it anticlockwise about 10deg and she fired up. She didn't run so nicely though until I turned the distributor back to its original position, then she ran beautifully, but I couldn't get her to idle below 1,400 rpm. Everytime I try to start her again, I have to turn the distributor back and then forward to her original position to get her to run nicely. I took her for a drive and after about 20km on my way home she stalled and ran on, preigniting. I managed to start her and get her back home and she did it again. Something is way out here. I realise that my mixtures will be way out again now she is running on all four cylinders and will be resetting them this weekend. Could the mixture be causing this?

Oh, and another thing, when I connected up my dwell meter to the coil and earth, she ran rougher and wanted to stall until I disconnected the dwell meter again. Strange! I am taking the points out tonight and fitting my new Pertronix unit. This is coupled to a 40,000V Flame Thrower Coil, 8mm HT leads and the External resistor is still in place. This is the only other change that I recently made, by reconnecting it. Any ideas?

74tii - Alpina A4 Spec

71 3.0 csl - to be restored

Is your distributor advancing correctly? The correct timing spec is 25deg at 2700rpm. This should give you about 4-9deg at idle (check with the TDC mark on the pulley). See if your idle advance is correct. If not, perhaps your distributor is not advancing correctly.

Byas

I started from scratch yesterday and pulled the distributor out, got the car on TDC and started from the beginning again. An hour later, I cranked her, she fired up after two turns and settled into an idle without me touching the accelerator pedal. The CO's are still a bit on the high side at 6%, but I'll live with that for the next week or so.

I took her for a drive today and she was so sweet, all the effort was worth it. One thing I did pick up though was at about 4,500rpm she bogged down. She did this more than once and in any gear. Up to there she is crsip and pulls like a steam train. Any ideas?

74tii - Alpina A4 Spec

71 3.0 csl - to be restored