• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low mile Manila 67 1600 in February 2002 Roundel

jgerock

Scott & Fran Hughes brought this car from N. Ohio to a Dave Hoovler-led gtg at Shaker Village in KY, not too far from Lexington. I am not sure which year it was, but it was approx. April 20th. We had a freak snow storm that Fri. night into Saturday morning. It was surprisingly cold on our back country drive which included a ferry boat river crossing. {Dave, you have the photos -- could you post one or two?} Scott wanted to turn on the heat in the car, but the lever had never been thrown over to 'heat' (Formerly a Calif. car), so the lever was stuck. It was recommended that he not force it. I guess he got that fixed later on... A beautiful car. Scott and Fran were great company too!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

My first o2 was "Manila", while I like the color now it wasn't my favorite then, I just wanted an o2 and this was the best car for the money I had. Was a $3500 car, bone stock except a "personal" steering wheel. Was a great car I have to say (originally owned by Alan Hardy ).

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Thanks for sharing the article Jim. I accidently discarded that Roundel some time back. It was nice to re-read the article about an early car. I did not realize that Mike Self wrote the article.

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

If anyone is interested in trying to contact Bobby Thrash at Strictly German in Braselton, GA (near Road Atlanta), he has this early Manila 1600 just sitting there outside under the pine trees. God knows for how long. I stopped going by there after my second business trip. Very sad. Jon Poole knows what I'm talking about.

IMG_5652.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My first 02 was a 1968 1600 (Manilla). At some point during that year the cars started to be equipped with the padded dash. This particular car still seems to retain the older 67 dash, the 67 rear badge, but the bumpers are 68. This is an early 68 car. There were no rear sway bar tabs, but swaybars were optional for the front since the mounting tabs are there. I clocked in excess of 500,000 miles on that car before it was destroyed in an accident. I have clocked an additional 500,000 miles on another 1600 ( A 69 Granada) since. And all of this on the same crank from my old car. As I rebuild the motors, I keep using the same crank. It has a mirror finish and has never been resurfaced. I've never measured the tolerences on it. I just install new STD. bearings. The crank is smooth and shiny even after a couple of oil pump failures. They don't build cranks like they used to. The short stroke of the motor and lower piston weight helps engine longevity, especially the connecting rod bearings and crank. A long stroke motor beats-up these bearings a lot sooner. I doubt the "M" cars are equipped with crankshafts of such quality. My 96hp SAE (85hp DIN) 1600s have otlasted just about anything BMW has built in the 80s and 90s.