• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mystery steering column bracket

A couple of years ago I removed all the cardboard under dash pieces to work on the wiring. All of the pieces went back together fine. But this piece, this bracket, came off the steering column down by the firewall. It has a coarse-thread screw hole at each end. I assumed that one of the cardboard pieces had a screw hole that would line up with the holes on the bracket. Nowhere near the case when I tried to put it back on. I cannot remember nor figure out what this bracket does. It's driven me crazy today. Help is appreciated.

post-1443-13667660207347_thumb.jpg

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

You have it figured out. Bracket holds lower section of trim (about 15" long) under the steering column . Two holes 2-1/2" from the bottom on the trim screw into the bracket (which is secured around the column). It should be easy to tell by positioning the bracket to the panel before installation.

Here's a couple of pics that may help.

That cardboard underdash piece tends to get flattened out when in storage for a while, so the holes may appear to be too far apart.

post-1443-1366766021885_thumb.jpg

post-1443-13667660219994_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Les's fine photos should help you.

The bracket goes over the column and the u shaped connector underneath the column. Put these two together loosely.

Then when you position your cardboard panels, use an awl to stick through the holes in the cardboard panels and into those two holes in the bracket. Leaving the bracket loose may allow you to move the bracket into place with the awl.

When you have this all lined up, take the cardboard panel down, tighten the bracket together then continue to install your cardboard panels.

So once you have this bracket in the proper place, installing the cardboard panels is "easy". I always use an awl to line all these little burgers up then sneak the screw in.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Just brilliant. Just Brilliant! Such simple answers to such confubbling things.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)