• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need recommendations for Sway Bars for my 2002

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on what and where to purchase sway bars for my 1973 2002. I am lowering it and putting Bilstein sport shocks on it shortly and want to do the sway bars and bushings at the same time.

I've found some made by Ireland Engineering and also some by Addco but I'd like to hear from people about what work for them and where they got them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Brandon

depends what you want the car for, you may find a set of billies is just fine for you and you don't need the extra compromise of stiffer arbs, plus I'd recommend changing one thing at a time so you know what's doing what and what suits your driving style/requirements

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

save your money - really

use the original Stock anti-sway bars

and just replace the woopped rubber bar bushings

with urethane ones. You don't need fat bars with the

spring/shock combination you have - really

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I have a 22mm ST front and a 22mm IE rear on my car. Front has a little more sway than the back but either one is a good option.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

It all depends on what you run for springs.

I have run everything from stock bars to the big short- lever Irelands.

Depending on what springs I ran.

Did I mention-

IT DEPENDS ON YOUR SPRINGS?

So if you're running 400+ lbs in front and rear, you need a stiff

bar to make any noticable improvement in cornering- but then,

since the springs are soo stiff anyway, you don't have any body roll on the

street, so why bother?

If you're running 150 lbs, you'd want a stiff bar to reduce roll-

but then, with sports, you don't have any high- speed travel anyway,

so you'd want something REALLY stiff to reduce roll...

so,

what springs are you using?

heh

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 5 months later...

I am interested in replacing my sway bar bushings - 1970 model w/ stock bars. What's the diff between greasable and non-greasable bushings? Interested in urethans direct replacement parts. Anyone done this before?

link: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Sway!s!Stabilizer+Bar+Bushings+Greasable/N1583/C0106.oap?year=1970&make=BMW&model=2002&vi=1010709&keyword=sway+bar+bushing

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Greasable means it has a grease nipple on the bracket to attach a grease gun to grease the bushing.

Unnecessary if properly greased to begin with, grease should last a while.

I warn you the pictures of the bushings you posted look very different than the bushings i just installed YESTERDAY. I have a 1976 but my brackets have dual bolts on one side and no bolts on the other side which is different than the bushings pictures. I would probably not buy bushings from oriellys, likely generic bushings that may not fit your vehicle well.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I ordered the Addco set a few years ago for my 1600 (didn't come with any from factory) but the shop I used had a clearance issue and I just installed stock 2002 bars instead. I sold them to Eurotrash here on the FAQ and he ran into some trouble too that may have been a manufacturing issue. If you go this route contact him to get an opinion as I hear it was a rather large ordeal. (Sorry ET)

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

OH MY LORD. I order Addco and they didn't fit and had the wrong bushings. Im still in the process of returning them. I ended up order ST sway bars from Summit Racing. They fit great and had the right bushings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=330800537503&view=all&tid=727737833014

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I installed korman 21 front and 19 adjustable rear. heavier bars will induce a lot of oversteer, particularly noticealble on wet roads, so be ready to do some "tuning" to make the oversteer a bit more predictable. mine is now predictable, can be thrown around, drifted and throttle steered, loads of fun. good luck

G

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)