• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I call BavAuto on this?

photog02

I am refreshing the cooling system on my 2002 and wound up (against my better judgment and past experience) ordering from Bavarian Autosport. This is the lower radiator hose they sent me:

IMG_20120512_103821.jpg

Even though it already had a BMW PN sticker on the hose they could have covered with their own sticker, they hit it with a plastic fastener gun to attach this tag and sticker. I know the puncture site slides over a metal neck and should be fine, but it is still frustrating to pay for something that was treated this way. Maybe I am just being too fussy, but this ticked me off.

- Justin

1973 2002tii

The toolbox is where truth and contentment lie... -James May

Return it! I hope Trojan doesn't do that! That's pitiful. I have had great luck with them over the years, but every once in a while....I bought a shifter boot from them last year that was split for the first half an inch from the top. They paid for return shipping and gave me a timely refund and replacement.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

Ive seen this as a common practice on cheap auto parts hoses that I've purchased for my old fords and hondas. After a second look, I doubt they poked the hose personally, this doesn't look like a factory BMW supplied part--I think that was added by the manufacturer or wholesaler for rack hanging.

I guess the bigger question is; did you pay the "Genuine BMW" part price and get an "OEM equivalent" from worldpac of unknown origin or quality?

--> 1968 2002 <--

One of the hoses I installed today, that I got from Blunt, he had dropped shipped from a Calif. company and it had the identical plastic fastener gun attached tag and sticker. That may be the company where BavAuto got your hose.

Bob Napier

One of the hoses I installed today, that I got from Blunt, he had dropped shipped from a Calif. company and it had the identical plastic fastener gun attached tag and sticker. That may be the company where BavAuto got your hose.

Bob Napier

Amen. I think you'll find they do that now for packaging. That hole isn't near water so might as well use it. Would you really make bavauto spend $30 in return and send out freight. employee time etc just to send you out another $10 hose??

you don't think that's kinda mean?

Guest Anonymous

All suppliers are going this route. As long as the clamp is above or covers the small hole it will be OK.

Guest Anonymous

Considering the turn around time it would take to get the new part, i would just trim a 1/4 inch and call it good...if it bothered me that much. Punching the hole for the tag, a bummer for sure. Show stopper? Nah.

Mine came the same way and I ordered from Pelican.

My 2002 was manufactured on September 15th, 1971 and delivered on October 22nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Granada, paint code 023. It was sold on New Years Eve December 31st 1971.

Return it. They have good customer service. I used to order from Bavauto back in the day, but being in Canada the UPS fees are killer.

In the future if you want to order real BMW parts at a good price with service that second to none...

I'd suggest talking to the kind folks at blunt tech.

http://blunttechclassic.com/

NO affiliation other than I've been buying all my 02 parts i've needed for years, and my father's M5 and E36 stuff. Never a problem.

Usually I just go to www.realoem.com find the part numbers I need and send them an email.