• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well this sucks......

MAD02

Gonna be moving soon so I started sanding the car down for paint. I began griding the roof and when I got to the rear sunroof area the metal was so thin holes began to appear. Ugh. Looks like it has rusted through the inside as well.

vfttyivf.jpg

The holes are only in this area, and not on any other part of the roof. I'm going to try and fix it but I hope the inside isn't lost. If not I guess I will just have to remove the entire sunroof and weld on a cover.

Anyone have any ideas on how to repair this?

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Gonna be moving soon so I started sanding the car down for paint. I began griding the roof and when I got to the rear sunroof area the metal was so thin holes began to appear. Ugh. Looks like it has rusted through the inside as well.

vfttyivf.jpg

The holes are only in this area, and not on any other part of the roof. I'm going to try and fix it but I hope the inside isn't lost. If not I guess I will just have to remove the entire sunroof and weld on a cover.

Anyone have any ideas on how to repair this?

Frenching, i.e, led soldering. Look up Eastwood's web site.

couple of months. Besides fixing the holes, you need to keep it from happening again. While leading is the traditional fix, and is a good one, I've had good luck with POR15 paste (basicallly their paint that's the viscosity of toothpaste).

I did a column on this very problem. Drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you, or if you're a CCA member, it was in the March Roundel.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You might want to check the underside of the roof.

The pics show what I found on one of my parts car. The rust started right behind the sunroof opening and headed off to the two rear corners of the roof. The outside didn't look bad!

post-8428-13667660284223_thumb.jpg

post-8428-13667660285275_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I would keep on going to baremetal both outside and inside then removing all the loose metal or any metal that has already been damaged. Then I would weld those holes and sand them flush. You could use a tiny bit of bondo for the imperfections and small tiny holes.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Thank you all for your replies.

02Les, yes the ceiling of my 2002 looks like the photo you posted. I will need to grind it all down and POR-15 it just like Konrad suggested.

Mike, thanks for the POR-15 paste idea. I had no idea they made this stuff. Should work great for the smaller holes. Unfortunately I am not a CCA member so I cannot recieve the magazine.

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!