• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

juat got hit, im ok but am i fucked

Get an estimate from your local 2002 shop. That price seems too low to me for a shop to do the work. But dont back down! Ya got an 02 worth saving.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're going to fix it, DO NOT let the insurance company total the car. To a certain degree the insurance companies will work with you. Look for good comps. This is when all those high priced 02's that are sold and members here slam the sellers on can do you a great favor. The insurance companies want to settle fast, if you don't like their initial offer, go back to them with what YOU feel is a fair settlement.

Do not fold. Hold your ground.

Glad to hear you're OK and as others said, the car can definitely fixed.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement!! We need those big number sales just for reasons like this. It's just an old car to the ins co unless you can prove it has value

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Yikes. Use an online system to quote the cost of new parts when available, Build out a spread sheet and give it to the adjuster or appraiser. Skip the paint/body as its an unknown. The front clip for example is still available new and won't have any rust to eradicate. For any part that is NLA, call someone like 2002ad and get a cost of a clean used component. Aardvark lists the prices on rechromed bumpers on his site (dont forget to add the core charge)

B0017471.png

--> 1968 2002 <--

If you're going to fix it, DO NOT let the insurance company total the car. To a certain degree the insurance companies will work with you. Look for good comps. This is when all those high priced 02's that are sold and members here slam the sellers on can do you a great favor. The insurance companies want to settle fast, if you don't like their initial offer, go back to them with what YOU feel is a fair settlement.

Do not fold. Hold your ground.

Glad to hear you're OK and as others said, the car can definitely fixed.

Even if they total the car you can request they sell it back to you for its salvage value. My brother in law worked for a VW aftermarket performance shop/parts store and put ~$11k in performance parts on his GTI. I think the insurance company offered him blue book for the car at the time, around $4k. IIRC they sold him the car back for less then $1k.

Rick

If it makes you feel a little better, the repairs on the 530 are gonna cost more than yours...

As has been stated, don't sign anything about injuries until you've been checked over by a doctor...it may take several days for any strains, sprains etc to crop up.

When dealing with the at-fault's insurance company keep emphasizing that you're the injured party and not at fault, and that all you want is for your prize car to be restored to the same condition it was prior to their insured's hitting it. No more, no less. Keep repeating that like a stuck record (or CD these days, I guess) until the other guy's insurance company cries "uncle."

And yes, your car is very reparable, especially since all the damaged sheet metal and trim is available new from BMW.

cheers and good luck. (keep us posted)

mike

PS--my sympathies--it's one of the risks we all take with daily driver 2002s. But they're too much fun to leave in the garage.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Might want to have in hand the cost of all the trim pieces, headlight and bucket, turn signal, front marker, bumper parts, grilles, etc. They will equal, or exceed, what the appraiser already has on the list. Check also the radiator, battery tray, horn, and anything else on the inside.

Good luck,

Bob Napier

Am i correct in my estimations for when the appraisal guy and I meet?

Left Fender cost used:

$200-300 USD

1968-1973 Front Clip:

$700-$1000 used

Hood:

$200-$400

Paint job to match: $750-$1500

Any suspension components that were damaged (unkown)

Please give me feed back as I will be meeting with the claims guy soon. Thanks

I would not list used parts if they are available new. Who quoted that paint price, Earl Schieb? way too low. with the prices you have listed, you wont be doing yourself any favors... and sorry for your loss, but yes its fixable indeed..

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Guest Anonymous

I have a left front fender for the taking if you'd like.........free

ira

i'm in the bay area

I have a left front fender for the taking if you'd like.........free

ira

i'm in the bay area

Ira, id love that where are you located?

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Guest Anonymous

emeryville......i can deliver it, i started my weekend today. i have a storage at alum rock that i need to work on probably Thursday or Friday..

510 258 5514

Guest Anonymous

yeah good to hear your ok,but what is it with classic cars people just drive like aholes around them,i almost got nailed 2 times when I had my 78 mini and just last week some jerk off drove out of his driveway 20 ft from my car as I was coming and I slammed on my brakes and swerved hiting the curb,he said didnt see me either ,yeah right its old but I dont drive it like an old lady.whatever if you were in jersey I have a parts car with full nose on it still.

sylvio

The first most important thing you should do now is contact an appraiser and get the pre accident value of your car! I can not stress this enough. The insurance companies are out to value your car as low as possible and if that means not repairing it because they value it lower than current market then that's what will happen. That ,means salvage title and not enough money to repair or properly replace the car!

Here is the contact info of two different appraisers I have used in the past. I'd first talk to Thom Escover and get his opinion if the insurance company will accept his valuation report easier than that of the Automobile Appraisal Association, (925) 935-2121

Thom's email is temotorsports@earthlink.net I would greatly appreciate it if you'd let him know that I sent you.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Not my fault but can i fix it?

Heres a quick update for whats going on with my bimmer. For what I thought was going to be a clean "text book" example of the other driver not yielding to me when I had the right of way ( I am going straight in my lane, he was turning left in the center median lane) but the insurance company is giving me all sorts of shit.

Can you believe the are looking to make this a case of shared liability for the accident because the claims rep said I didn't take evasive action to avoid hitting the guy...... Not sure if she has even driven in her life but anytime you have someone jump in front of you you dont have much time to react let alone take evasive action.

I sent the photos of my skid marks which should prove that evasive action was taken. I also got a copy of the police report which had the Police Officers summary of the incident as well his explanation for the cause of accident. This was a violation of Vehicle Code 21801(a) failure to yeild when making a left turn. I thought this too would make this a clear cut case for insurance as to whos at fault but they are still trying to rip me off.

One thing I learned, treat your 02 to Double Sided coverage (not liability like I have right now)

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.