• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

juat got hit, im ok but am i fucked

Have you looked into having your car appraised yet. By the trouble they're giving you already, you need to be prepared to fight for the value of your car so that it can get properly repaired and not end up with a salvage title, poorly repaired or for sale at a CoPart auction.

I've been here and done this.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have thought about calling the guy yousuggested but i thought it would be a simple case. Which it wasnt. i have the car over at Autosports Exclusive (Paul's shop) waiting for the insurance co to make a decision. good thing i took lots of photos...

I think while i have liability, the insurance co wont talk.to.me till they make a decision. i willbe calling the gentlemen you had recommended though.

thanks again!

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Anytime

Tom

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i

Gentlemen:

The part that you haven't heard yet is that they both have Farmers insurance.

Good luck with that claim! They will probably conclude that both were at fault and put the paperwork in the shredder.

The next time carry chicken blood and smear it all over you before you get out of the car.

72 Tii 2761525 Fjord- sunroof

73 Tii 2762870 Malaga- sunroof

73 Tii 2763356 Atlantic- sunroof

73 Tii 2763815 Fjord- sunroof

OK then, if it is true of Farmers Insurance practices then a look at the California Department of Insurance website may be in order. There's loads of information there and hotlines to call for questions/answers.

http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0100-consumers/0060-information-guides/0010-automobile/You-had-an-accident.cfm

Oh and BTW fourtii, Fjord is commonly spelled without an "i"...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/32/32/

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/08/23/bat-exclusive-fjord-blue-1973-bmw-2002tii/

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fjord

http://www.fjords.com/

http://www.fjordnorway.com/en/

If you do a Google search of "BMW Fijord Blue Metallic" Google returns the search with Fjord spelled correctly. ;)

Cheers and Hope This Helps,

Tom Jones

T.J. thank you for your words of wisdom, I have corrected the spelling on my profile.

As for best insurance practices in CA or any other state..."fugedda bout it"

The kid is dealing with legal extortionists that have the best lawyers on their payroll and can get out of anything, they grease the politicians, pee in the same urinal and shake each other's tool when they are finished. I don't have to tell you this you're old enough to have the rules on life.

He only has liability insurance coverage. I wish him the best, as I said before...he needs to act quick on the bodily injury before his clock runs out of time.

Do you guys have the same ins co? they like to do this so they can raise both of your rates.. Fight them tooth and nail 90% of the time the ins. co. will try to low ball / screw you but if you protest you will usually end up better.. Good luck, dont forget about getting a lawyer if you need one, they have one....

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

T.J. thank you for your words of wisdom, I have corrected the spelling on my profile.

As for best insurance practices in CA or any other state..."fugedda bout it"

The kid is dealing with legal extortionists that have the best lawyers on their payroll and can get out of anything, they grease the politicians, pee in the same urinal and shake each other's tool when they are finished. I don't have to tell you this you're old enough to have the rules on life.

He only has liability insurance coverage. I wish him the best, as I said before...he needs to act quick on the bodily injury before his clock runs out of time.

Thank you for the wisdom! As for the bodily injury what is the time line for this? I have gone to the doctor who has ordered me to get Xrays of my neck and do a month of physical therapy.

Thanks in advance,

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

*FURTHER UPDATE*

Today I get a call from my claim rep telling me that the other claim rep handling the other drivers side didint get the police report i submitted a few days ago (more like didint want to look at it). This report clearly puts the blame on the other driver and states the violation of 21801(a) which he did do. This was still not a good enough answer for the ins.co and they are still reviewing it.

Its becoming clear to me that they want to find a way to swindle money from me anyway they can. Unfortunately, I do not like being taken for a sucker so they will be finding the meaning of persistence (I call each rep for updates every few hours)

If anyone else has any suggestions or insight for how to ensure that I can get my car repair fairly, please let me know. I am not trying to get rich off this accident, just want my car back to the state it was in.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

*FURTHER UPDATE*

Today I get a call from my claim rep telling me that the other claim rep handling the other drivers side didint get the police report i submitted a few days ago (more like didint want to look at it). This report clearly puts the blame on the other driver and states the violation of 21801(a) which he did do. This was still not a good enough answer for the ins.co and they are still reviewing it.

Its becoming clear to me that they want to find a way to swindle money from me anyway they can. Unfortunately, I do not like being taken for a sucker so they will be finding the meaning of persistence (I call each rep for updates every few hours)

If anyone else has any suggestions or insight for how to ensure that I can get my car repair fairly, please let me know. I am not trying to get rich off this accident, just want my car back to the state it was in.

**SECOND UPDATE*** They have assumed full liability for the accident and it is now time for me start the battle over them not totaling my car.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

Keep on them for the bodily injury...find a Jewish lawyer and a Italian or Irish doctor and run up the bills for your pain and anguish. Old farts like me have been paying insurance for decades and never have a loss. They have more money than they know to do with...get what you deserve and don't settle for less as others have stated here on the forum.

Eventually you will have to compromise...but start high, you can always come down (like selling a car). Talk to Paul, he will coach you along the way also.

• 3 weeks later...
Have you looked into having your car appraised yet. By the trouble they're giving you already, you need to be prepared to fight for the value of your car so that it can get properly repaired and not end up with a salvage title, poorly repaired or for sale at a CoPart auction.

I've been here and done this.

another update I finally got the insurance company to understand the value of my car even though it didn't look like it was 1,000,000 bucks due to a poor paint job and torn door cards and rear seat here and there.

I got the check in hand and my car's title was kept clean.

because the insurance company did a really know how to value a car The insurance company hired in independent appraisal of their own for the car. I also hired my own guy who appraise my car just shy of 14k ( gave me a 37 page report on my appraisal).

today the insurance company called me and said that they are issuing me a check even though I didn't even have to present my appraisal it was definitely good to have and I think the mere mention of me having it kinda scared them into just accepting the value for my car. the check is. exactly for the appraisal amount for the damages apprased by Paul and my title is clean as well so im a very happy camper.

If I can suggest one thing from this is appraise your car before insuring it and insurance for a high set value so if this ever happen to you you wouldn't have to be in my situation fighting for your car.

by the way I use Zach with automotive appraisal association ( per tom joness other post ) he actually did another 2002 that was rolled over a couple months back. he is very knowledgeable if anyone ever needs another appraisal done call him. ( get one before a car accident)

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

That is wonderful news!!!! Congratulations are in order!

I was just thinking about what may be going on with this. Thanks for the update! Now, it's on to the next battle: getting the car properly repaired. I don't know of many body shops in the south bay, only one comes to mind; B-Line http://b-linebodyshop.com/Body_Shop.html ...

The Echeverri (Daniel aka MOJOJOY, Jan aka Pichos1) cousins should know a shop or two as well. There are others here on the forum from the area that should have a recommendation as well.

If you feel like traveling... The shop we at Casey MotorSports use is European Enterprise up in El Sobrante, Roger Elle doesn't have a website but a Google search will turn up with his contact info. The best part is that Roger is a one man shop, the guy you talk to is the one doing the work! At most other shops details and information get lost in translation between the person you talk to and the people doing the work.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Jones

T.J. ; he has been coached and left his car with Paul Colby of Auto Sports Exclusive in San Mateo (decades of experience with 2002's), and would not have received a settlement without his guidance. I don't think it would be prudent to pull the vehicle out of his shop at this juncture since he has invested a lot of time on this particular car.