• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro Project D

ponchis

Hey everyone... well ive been on this board for some time now and ive collected numerous amounts of parts... i wanted to go all out so here i am (after a few years) ...

Its a Formula Drift Spec 2002. Ill post by different sections of the car. Ill start with the shell and keep going. Enjoy, comment, or ask...

I got a pretty good deal on a rust free 72 2002 for $350

IMG_1242

engine bay2

It actually came with bumpers, silver gauges, nice dash, 2 steering wheels and a few other stuff... sold those things off and i broke even... free 2002 for me...

so since i wanted to start fresh... i started with cleaning up the engine bay and cabin...

I removed the wiring, gutted the interior, cut the center section and the spare tire well

IMG_1374

IMG_3660

Prep'd for the roll cage!

what do you want to see next? suspension? brakes? interior? Rollcage? exterior? engine?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant really do much with stock fenders!

IMG_1164

So I went thru a phase of making my car wider... i tried the Ireland flares (nice rear)...

IMG_0816

I returned them due to fitment and work... so i went with Mana motorsport flares and realized i couldnt run a wide wheel on the back because of the over lap and sold those off too..

IMG_3630

IMG_3628

Im now going with some semi custom flares... still debating about using turbo flares but who knows... in the back ground, you can see my CF hood waiting to be placed

Here i made some room for the Fuel Safe cell...

IMG_1377

IMG_1375

And a teaser of the cage itself... cage by BLU808... they fab Formula Drift cages... If your familiar with the corvette and camaro from FD, they belong to them...

IMG_1381

IMG_1380

looking good, what do you plan on doing for the power plant? You said your going to run wider wheels on the rear so keeping them spinning is the name of the game. As for the fender flares I'm going to use some MK1 golf flares and tuck some 9" wheels in the rear on mine. They are cheap and another member here inspired me to look into those.

Fitment is key for me though so I am mounting the wheels then welding the flares up.

Keep up the hard work you'll be sideways in no time.

07gti... i saw your build thread... diggin those borbets and the bags! whats the offset on those? ive seen your car slammed before... not sure if on this forum but that picture has been posted.

as for the rear size... i think i want to do a 9 as well... im planning on stretching some tire so it wont be very beefy

As for the power plant, i wanted to keep it bmw powered... here are a few shots of my build...

Tranny with extra bell housing?

IMG_1206

Did some cutting! Aligning of the block, tranny, cover and ports

IMG_1636

First time welding (yes under supervision hahaha)

IMG_1675

Ireland baffle... fit very well with minor trimming

IMG_1643

So i purchased an s14. well yes previous owner couldnt get it to run... of course that didnt worry me since we rebuild motors on a day to day basis... tore engine part and in came some new parts...

it didnt have a much wear but gave it a refresh

New 2002 oil pump

Full set of gaskets

New e36 m3 timing chain tensioner

Ireland baffle/windage tray/motor mounts

New cap/rotor

Micro polished the crank

Moroso Cables

Samco hoses

Complete valve job by me... 3 angle cuts

IMG_1209

Upside down s14!

IMG_0937

Build continues

IMG_0948

IMG_0954

more

IMG_0955

theres more hp to be obtained... and it goes near the alternator... waiting to be installed... soon...

Edited by ponchis

hahaha while i was writing, you were posting... yea its time, i kno! but hey i still have those parts for sale... ohh hey do you need anything else? shock towers? panels? floor? im cutting up the black one tomorrow...

suggestion..

cut 1.5in out of the water manifold and weld back together. gets you much more clearance in front of the engine by radiator and dizzy cap. see my build thread for pics and details. i got the idea from Lee Vong.

2xM3

Call me crazy, but I would think a '72 would have been equipped with a 12-fuse fuseblock. That looks like a 6-fuse car (maybe a '70?). What is the VIN?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

Mlytle... i did see your post before and i had seen lee's, i never really gave it a thought thinking its too much hassle but since its out... i think i might just do it... and thanks for reminding me

jgerock... you might be right actually... vins and paperwork match so im not worried since its a racecar

07gti... ive always been fan of the borbets! those offsets would be perfect for my flares too!!!

IE dash... check...

Back to the cage... so its a drift car and I hope i never really have to use this but the guys at blu808 made a removable rear crash bar incase i ever hit anything to protect my quarters.

IMG_3821

Completely removable... can extend the bar out further too

IMG_3825

Fuel cell set up...

IMG_3824

re-enforced the shock towers and making them end points for the cage

IMG_3826

X brace on the main hoop and also on the rear bars... i love the way it looks!

IMG_3828

Gussets to stiffin up the body

IMG_3829

Cage completely welded... looks awesome, wish i can weld like that

IMG_3830

Front view with gussets

IMG_3834

car ready for the tear down, next to other racecars

IMG_3841

A pillar close up with gussets

IMG_3843

Interior shot

IMG_3844

cage is DONE!... next step... stopping power!

Thanks Staunch and Rick for the support

more pics and updates to come!

Now for the brakes... I decided to keep it local for support so I went to IE for a custom set up. I wanted to run dual calipers on the rears... They found it surprising and asked why? and i explained the application and they made it happen... 1 off maybe? Awesome people to deal with... Big thanks to Andrew...

Dual Calipers for the rear

IMG_3915

Wilwood rotors

IMG_3917

ASD Hydraulic Ebrake with wilwood cylinder for the extra calipers

IMG_3912

4 piston wilwood caliper for the front

IMG_3919

So I ordered several things from my buddy Lee... your buddy too... I needed the space and thought this would really work out for me... time to get rid of the booster

IMG_3922

More wilwood

IMG_3921

Extra pic..

MMM 15s?... too bad they dont fit anymore

IMG_0492

Hey, well good question... At the time, my options were limited. This was only suppose to be a daily m2. So i didnt think much of it and since Lee has this setup in his racecar, i thought this should be a great upgrade including his pedal rebuilt kit. And as things have evolved maybe i would have gone with a different setup but i wont bash it till i try it. Does that make sense? Maybe a future mod?

Alfonso