• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT - Harbor Freight Soda Blasters

HenryG

Have any of you faqers purchased either of the HF Soda Blasters? They have a 15 lb. and a 40 lb. size. Which do you feel would be the most useful for incidental use. In other words, does size matter?

I have the 40 lb one.

It works OK. It made a mess. I used it in my driveway. I had soda everywhere.

My compressor was probably too small for it, but I was also trying to run it at pretty high pressure (100 psi).

It'll take paint off though.

I'd say pass. Get a decent booth setup.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I have an eastwood mini-kit. For about $35 you get a gun, hose, metal tube and a 10lb tub of media. I used it on several cleanup projects on my recent restoration. It does make a mess, but its baking soda so who cares right? I wore a respirator and a face shield as the soda has a tendency to bounce back at your face on detail work. This unit from HF below basically does the same thing but includes a bucket and no soda. I buy my soda from HF for about $35 for the 50 pound bag. For infrequent use on small parts, this basic setup should work OK for most people. Just remember, this is not a sandblaster. Don't expect to remove rust.

image_11227.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

I have the 15lb one and it works great for cleaning parts and removing paint. It does not work well on corrosion or rust as the soda is not abrasive enough.

Here are some Solex carbs I cleaned up using nothing more than my blaster:

IMG_4426.JPG