• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aardvarc Door Panel Cards - HIGHLY RECOMMEND

David the owner at Aardvarc was super helpful last week. He shipped the fiberboards within one day and they arrived in great shape. The instructions that come with the door panel kit are great and helpful.

After taking off the door panels I rebuilt the mechanisms on both sides. Seperating the wool from the old cardboard is key to make the new panels stick to the vinyl, but well worth it in the end. I highly recommend Dave's Fiberboard panels they will transform your car.

The only suggestion I have is to sand the holes at the top of the board where the four prong clasp fits through the fiberboard. Makes it easier to bend the prongs back onto the new board.

I can send pictures if you are interested.

David

1972 Malaga 2002

Pics please Someone put 4 inch speakers in mine way back. I am thinking of getting world upholstery prebuilts

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

World only does pre-builts if you ship them the hardware from your old panels.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Those look great. So how do I rebuild my door cards? Mine need to be replaced since they have holes. What parts does world uP reuse?

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

I recently used the door board kit and it really worked out nicely for my 68. One bit of advice & caution for anyone planning to use the kit. I was re-installing late at night and whacked the lower panel to seat the clips but the door card was off just slightly. I fractured/exploded four of the new green clips and unfortunately they don't come out once the tab A is gone--there is no give in the new boards and nothing much to grab onto to twist them out. I had to chip away at them for a long time with various pics and knives (while not puncturing the outer vinyl) to get them out--so my advice is start re-installing at the top and sides then lay on your back, look up and be sure the clips go right into the holes then pop them in one at a time.

--> 1968 2002 <--

I recently used the door board kit and it really worked out nicely for my 68. One bit of advice & caution for anyone planning to use the kit. I was re-installing late at night and whacked the lower panel to seat the clips but the door card was off just slightly. I fractured/exploded four of the new green clips and unfortunately they don't come out once the tab A is gone--there is no give in the new boards and nothing much to grab onto to twist them out. I had to chip away at them for a long time with various pics and knives (while not puncturing the outer vinyl) to get them out--so my advice is start re-installing at the top and sides then lay on your back, look up and be sure the clips go right into the holes then pop them in one at a time.

Has anyone used heavy duty automotive hook and loop instead of the green factory door clips? I know a lot of newer cars use it on door panels instead of clips. I plan on using a set of Aardvarks door cards and this alternate method. Not really concerned with concours correctness on mine.

algon

Thanks for the thought, Algon...as I made new cards from some wonderful Baltic birch plywood, perfectly bored, and two coats of exterior latex paint, that are about 1/64" too thick for the clips! And of course the plywood is too hard to compress like the cardboard stuff...Really pissed me off. If I go with the velcro and route in a small pocket a sixteenth or so, maybe I can still salvage all that work...if the handles, etc will still work...thanks for the idea.

Dave V. in NC

Bummer Dave, Hope it works - let us know. Often wondered why these were made from plywood when mositure was such a problem in these doors originally with the fiberboard. maybe a plastic or fiberglass sheet would work as well?

Bummer Dave, Hope it works - let us know. Often wondered why these were made from plywood when mositure was such a problem in these doors originally with the fiberboard. maybe a plastic or fiberglass sheet would work as well?

Plywood will go back to its original shape after exposure to moisture, per Dave Varco's analysis.