• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrofit 3 point seat belts to early car?

Bimmer02

I am "restoring" a 2002 based upon an early 1968 1600 body shell. The 1600 did not come with 3 point belts so there is no mounting point on the B pillar for the harness. Anyone with experience adding the 3 point belts to the early cars? Is it simply a matter of welding a nut to the B pillar or something more involved? Pictures of your fabrication efforts would be much appreciated.

1968 1602 (body shell)(thanks SCR!)

1973 2002 (parts donor)(terminal NE rust)

1974 Tii (crushed, but rising from the ashes!)

heck, its just another winter in New England - the Tii will live again!!!

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,71086/highlight,seatbelt+retrofit/

may get you going in the right direction. Al Bluedevils has some input on seatbelt fitting as well.

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Is it simply a matter of welding a nut to the B pillar or something more involved? Pictures of your fabrication efforts would be much appreciated.

on my '71 I did this... For the upper B pillar mount, i cut the steel plate out of a parts car, a nut would probably be ok up there. But for the lower mount, I had a friend weld a nut to larger fender washer, cut a hole big enough for the nut, and welded it in. This way there is a larger surface for the reel to tighten on to, and it sits a little more flush to the body.

good luck.

'71 colorado 2002

I am "restoring" a 2002 based upon an early 1968 1600 body shell. The 1600 did not come with 3 point belts so there is no mounting point on the B pillar for the harness. Anyone with experience adding the 3 point belts to the early cars? Is it simply a matter of welding a nut to the B pillar or something more involved? Pictures of your fabrication efforts would be much appreciated.

Here is the link to my post for welding a bracket or using the Peacock method:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,340941/

I can help if you are interested. Have been helping 2002 community for over 5 years for their seat belt needs. You can use my email button for more details.