• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just snagged an early 72 tii with a/c

My craigslist obsessive compulsive disorder just paid off. This morning I dropped everything to drive 200 miles each way to downeast Maine to look at a purportedly minimally rusted early '72 tii with a/c. Usually, the experience we all have is to drive all that way only to look at the car and walk away 30 seconds later mumbling "well THAT was a complete waste of time."

But not today. This car was exactly as described -- VERY solid with minor rust bubbling on one door, fender, and quarter. Been sitting a while but runs well, has Bilsteins, seems tight. And it's got a/c and some very cool striped Konig seats.

The price? With whole, intact, running, shiny, not necessarily rust-free tiis frequently trading at $10k on eBay, let's just say that, with my last kid in college, I could afford this one.

The floor pans of this car have no undercoating on them, which is great -- nowhere for rust to hide, and there's just one small perforation in the floor. The seller says the previous owner said it came from the Southwest. Does anyone know if there was region-specific undercoating?

The thrill of the chase, and the consummation... better than sex, though more expensive.

I am going to be insufferably pleased with myself for at least a month.

(pics to follow... just offloaded it from the U-Haul carrier into the garage... sleep...)

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Congratulations on the find. Its nice when a plan comes together. I guess you didn't stop for a lobster.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Howard!!

Yes, there are many similarities. I bought that one in Portland ME, this one in Rockland ME. And they're both early '72s with plastic intake plenums and close-in bumpers.

I have always regretted selling you that car, though the regret was somewhat mitigated by how much you love it. This one makes up for it. This one has air. If yours had air, I never would've sold it.

Sometimes the karma really does come 'round.

And you know it's a small world and a tight-knit community when someone (Andrew) posts a picture of the car you just bought before you do!

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

That's very cool Rob! I can't wait for the VIN and pictures... Especially the VIN = how early is it? ;)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Sounds like this one......

1972 BMW 2002 tii - $7500 (Rockland Maine)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2012-05-11, 7:45PM EDT

Reply to: vvf4m-3010383867@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White, 92k miles, 4 speed, excellent survivor, great shape, not a rustbucket, floor, trunk great, runs great, could use paintjob, small rustbubble

on L F fender and bottom of door. Interior is excellent, has factory A C, everything is there. 207-593-6126

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 3010383867

Nice work. I just bought a '72 tii with factory A/C myself. Like you, it must have something to do with my last of three sons being in college, the other two just graduated (and with jobs).

Does the A/C work?

Colour?