• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Partial reprint. Anybody tried it? Results?

Chamoix

I need to replace both rocker panels and fix some other minor rust issues that are all below the belt line trim - then repaint. I was thinking about just painting from the belt line down to save time, effort, and money, and having the "seam" between the original and new paint be hidden by the trim. Anybody ever tried something like this? Is it possible to get a good match between the paint colors so it won't be noticeable? Color is Chamonix if that makes a difference and while I have the equipment, I will probably have it done by a body shop instead of attempting it myself.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

I had the lower half of my car painted after converting to chrome bumpers and shaving the side markers. Took 4 tries to get the color right. Luckily we had a paint mixing station at the shop. The P.O. Had the car painted in alpine white, or so he thought. So what I'm saying is , be very diligent with your color matching and you should be golden...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

Yep--my car was painted below the beltline along with accident and rust repair in 2002. It turned out well, with actually a good match to the original Colorado...

Unfortunately, it is a good match to FADED Colorado (I hadn't polished the car for the couple of months between the wreck and the paint job), so whenever I polish the car, the top is now brighter than the bottom. It's not that noticeable, though--the beltline trim does a good job of hiding the difference, as does the shift from horizontal to vertical surfaces.

So go for it, but just be sure the paint on the top is polished before they try to match it!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

my chamonix car was painted beltline down by the PO in 2005, everything above was original. I thought the paint matched very well but when I did my recent restoration I repainted the whole car since the back half needed to be painted completely. I would say that the single stage line of 085 chamonix that my guy used is much crisper white than what I normally see, I think it's a combination of older white paint aging and my white being a tinge too white. If you can get someone to match it, go for it as it will save the fuss and bundles of cash.

IMG_0083.jpg

--> 1968 2002 <--

I have been doing some selective repainting of my own. Started with the roof of the car and my plan is to do section by section overtime until the whole car is done.

I am very happy with the results, but I have learned that you need to be consistent with the sources of the paint. For example, one paint store's version of Malaga was definitely different at another paint store.

Some people from Bay Area 02 show saw my paint job on the roof and were impressed. I'll post some photos next time I'm in the garage with my car.

Beck

It's all relative-

if you don't mind it being exact, sure.

If it's the sort of thing that will drive you nuts, then no.

The tail end of my car's a bit different than the rest (rear- ender)

The race car is at least 4 different shades of green.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL