• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEHR A/C rare?

Hey guys so in january I aquired a 1975 02 with a sunroof and a BEHR a/c unit, I'm just wondering if this is something pretty rare or valuable in anyway. I'm in the process of pulling it out the fan worked but it was not cold because there was a o ring leak.

2004 VW Jetta 1.8T DD

1975 BMW 2002 Project.

Not really rare (IMHO), but BEHR and Clardy were a lot better than ARA AC units.

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

I believe that Behr units are far and away the most common units, particularly because they appeared on the market around 1972(?) and were distributed and installed by many (most?) BMW dealers from that time onward. IMO they also look the most "factory-installed" of the three most common units, Frigiking, Behr, and Clardy. The Clardy unit didn't appear until 1975(?) but seemed to gain steam even after 2002 production ceased.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for the replies, that makes me feel better about taking it out of my car. What does the whole system center console and all normaly go for?

Like 2002's themselves, it's a wide range! Depending on condition, circumstances, and how long it's been sitting in your garage, generally anywhere from $50 to $200 for the console unit (evaporator/blower plus console panels and operating controls). Condensers (the radiator-like unit in the car's nose), condenser fans, and compressors, if still present, are often thrown in "free of charge" because many current A/C users choose to install new condensers, condenser fans, and compressors.

Good luck. As you pull the unit out, remember it's brittle 40-year-old plastic and any missing/snapped off mounting tabs materially reduces the value!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)