• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USS IOWA now enroute to San Pedro, CA

OriginalOwner

in the mid-'80's a pal of mine served on the New Jersey for 2 years, he said it was quite a ride.

in 1988 I got lucky and got a ride on the Missouri from Long Beach to San Diego. A pal was aboard the Missouri for RimPac 1990.

those Iowa-class battleships are awesome.

Cheers,

Carl

Hey Carl,

Same here, a good friend of mine was on the New Jersey early/mid 80's, he went from the USS Knox ( frigate ) to the New Jersey; the New Jersey, Iowa, Missouri class battleships were awesome in their days.

Tim

My father and father-in-law, between them, Guadalcanal, New Georgia, New Guinea, Phillipines, Eniwetok, Pelilu and Okinawa both spoke of being in a fox-hole watching the 3 shells from the 16"ers of the Iowa class Battleships as they flew overhead and what a comfort it was, when there was little to really comfort them. To bad it isn't going in under its own power!

I did my active duty '74 to '78 ..... still in touch with a few of my pals from those days. Even today, have been e-mail yakkin' with 2 of 'em.

Jack,

wow, those 2 lads have some stories to tell .....

I just watched the movie "Tora Tora Tora" ..... a brilliant stroke for the Japanese at the moment, but .....

Here is a fascinating book to read, puts some perspective to the Far East "how it got started" of WWII ....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Imperial-Cruise-Secret-History/dp/0316008958

Cheers,

Carl

A timely article for this Memorial Day - thanks to all who have served, and continue to.

A friend of mine heads a non-profit that's developing a hands-on educational program which will use the IOWA's machine shop. He's also a 2002 owner (I just built him an M10, leftover parts will be saved for the hand-on classes... at some point in the future, we may solicit additional parts donations). -KB

KB,

way cool !!

re. your friend's non-profit, and using the Iowa's machine shop .... this fellow would be quite a talent to have aboard the project, here is his bio .... and I think this is him, I found the address info at www.switchboard.com .....

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/default2_bioRL.htm

Richard A Landgraff

3503 East La Jara St, Long Beach, (562) 531-0778

Cheers,

Carl

Neither my father or father-in-law spoke of their combat experience. My FIL was particularly well read throughout his life and in his opinion William Manchesters, "Goodby Darkness" best described the troops in the Pacific theater. You won't go wrong reading the rest of Manchester's books.

Thanks Much, I'll read the Manchester book. I've many of the other first-hand authors such as Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie.

Here's one I found a couple of months ago, gives much insight into how Japan became imperialistic in the Far East, an eye-opening read into American history you won't find in the history books .....

"The Imperial Cruise" by James Bradley

http://www.amazon.com/The-Imperial-Cruise-Secret-History/dp/B004J8HW6O/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338786710&sr=1-1

Cheers,

Carl