• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing my newest project - a 69 2002 automatic

supark

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1968 BMW 1600

Yeah it's kind of a weird bluish white, I think it's really cool.

Thanks for the pic.. wow, that is a really cool shade. I've never seen an 02 in that color. I would have thought it would be a little feminine but it's not at all. Huh, might be worthwhile to actually bring it back...

192079893_d4224be9f0_o.jpg

Here's some pics of my old 72 02. Decent enough car, just had more rust than I was willing to start a project with - had some decent size holes in the floor pans, a little too much fiberglass for comfort in somewhat conspicuous areas, so much bodywork on the flanks that it had that "tin-can" ripple effect when you looked down it, and the engine had a bit of blowby. Also the spare tire well had been replaced with a non-02 part from what I could see...

IMGP2604.jpg

IMGP2574.jpg

DO NOTHING TO THE PAINT !

LEAVE THE WHEELS AND HUB CAPS - OR JUST

CHANGE TO STEEL ALPINA STYLE WHEELS

DO NOT INSTALL ALLOY BIGARSE RIMS AND TYRES!

YOU'LL FUCHITUP!

REPLACE THE FRONT AND REAR WINDOW SEALS

REPLACE THE DOOR TRIM PANELS AND DITCH THOSE SPEAKERS

REPLACE ALL OTHER RUBBER PARTS INCL FRONT STRUT MOUNTS

REPLACE SHOCKS AND NOT THE SPRINGS

KEEP THE INTERIOR STOCK LOOKING WITH REPLACEMENT OEM SEAT COVERS

DONT SCREW THIS CAR UP = please

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Florida is rare, so is an automatic tranny roundie... repaint original color and leave everything stock. You might have the only Florida roundie automatic around.

If you don't want to do this and CD's suggestions you should pass it on to someone who will.

Don't underestimate the fun - and value - of an original, early automatic with sunroof (ignore the boorish bashing of Andrey). I've got one very-similar to yours - also a '69 automatic, Colorado color - and find it to be a sweet around-town cruiser, with highway driving that's reasonably-acceptable, running 3,500rpm at 65mph (admittedly, I'm fond of an M10 at 7,500rpm, so I may appreciate the buzz more than others).

-KB

Don't underestimate the fun - and value - of an original, early automatic with sunroof (ignore the boorish bashing of Andrey). I've got one very-similar to yours - also a '69 automatic, Colorado color - and find it to be a sweet around-town cruiser, with highway driving that's reasonably acceptable running 3,500rpm at 65mph (admittedly, I'm fond of an M10 at 7,500rpm, so I may appreciate the buzz more than others).

-KB

Ha yeah I love puttering around in the thing, "cruiser" is a good way to put it. Actually I wonder if there's a slushbox that I could swap with a higher freeway cog...

Florida is rare, so is an automatic tranny roundie... repaint original color and leave everything stock. You might have the only Florida roundie automatic around.

If you don't want to do this and CD's suggestions you should pass it on to someone who will.

After seeing what florida actually looks like, I'm not against repainting it that color - in fact I'm leaning towards it. A period-correct nut I am not though - it's getting lowering springs, rota RBs, and yes... a1electric central power door locks with keyless entry. I've put them in all of my classics and it's honestly one of the more gratifying "invisible" mods that I've done on a classic. Fear not though - nothing will happen to this little 02 that won't be completely reversible.

Florida is a great color, not to mention very rare. It is so era correct to the early cars that it brings me to tears just thinking about it.

PS: Don't let anyone snake this from you, especially ^^

I'm honestly a little surprised what a strong reaction the Florida color is getting from 02 faithful. Seeing a couple pics were enough to convince me though. I just need to figure out a paint code for it. I guess I could just have a paintshop flash the paint in the engine bay which is in pretty good condition and have them mix up some.

Holding on to it for sure, but more for the condition of the body than what the car was originally painted. The past several years of owning classics has taught me that finding almost rust free 02s (and classics of this vintage in general) is hard to do.

PS: Don't let anyone snake this from you, especially ^^

Me? Snake it? That's not something I would do...

More of "recommending" a safe home ;)

Ha don't worry it's in safe hands. I am also planning on cutting up the fenders to install maserati style portholes, maybe some flat screens in the back of the head rests, "custom" ground effects kit left in primer grey, and a spoiler in back large enough to serve a buffet on. Hmm I wonder if I can paint the car with plastidip...

Hey, are the pictures taken near Magnolia? I used to work at Fisherman's Terminal next to the Ballard Bridge and drive by those grain silos everyday. Still have a son in Everett and have been back to visit a few times and always rent a neat place on Magnolia Bluff if it is available.

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter