• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bleeding the clutch using a pressure bleeder?

JohnS

I've read the FAQ on bleeding the clutch slave cylinder when you bleed your brakes. What wasn't clear to me is if you can use a pressure bleeder (like the Motive bleeder I have) to also bleed the clutch slave? Thanks for any info,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Yes. It works exactly the same as bleeding the brakes (same reservoir, unless you have a very early or possibly RHD car), and in fact I just treat it as one system for bleeding purposes. If not using the pressure bleeder, you would just need to be extra careful about the fluid lever in the reservoir since the clutch line draws from the side, not the bottom.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Thanks Dave,

I'll plan on putting her back up on jack stands this weekend and bleed the system again with the pressure bleeder. This time I won't forget to bleed the clutch too,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Just FYI...

If you have the single reservoir system and don't bleed both the Brakes and the Clutch at the same time, you will contaminate the new fluid with the old, moisture-laden fluid still left in the system you didn't bleed, necessitating having to flush the entire system again with new fluid.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I used a motive pressure bleeder on mine when I did my brake caliper swap - worked like a charm. It actually burst a seal in my slave cylinder at no fault to the pressure bleeder. Guessing the slave cylinder was almost gone, and the pressure bleeder just pushed it over the edge.

Just FYI...

If you have the single reservoir system and don't bleed both the Brakes and the Clutch at the same time, you will contaminate the new fluid with the old, moisture-laden fluid still left in the system you didn't bleed, necessitating having to flush the entire system again with new fluid.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be filling up the Motive bleeder this weekend and doing the marathon bleeding of the systems on all three of my cars. I've been bleeding the brakes yearly, but never have done the clutch slaves on any of them. Good thing I have 5 new liters of Ate fluid...

In the past I've always just used the Motive bleeder for supplying pressure and not filling it with fluid. Time to fill'r-up!

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

It will be worth a photo to see what comes out of there. Clutch fluid seems to get dirtier than brake fluid even when changed at the same time.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I have a really complicated method of bleeding the clutch:

I attach a piece of tubing to the end of the bleeder, stick it into a bottle, then

open the bleeder.

After the fluid runs clear, I close it.

Usually takes about 5 minutes.

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have a really complicated method of bleeding the clutch:

I attach a piece of tubing to the end of the bleeder, stick it into a bottle, then

open the bleeder.

After the fluid runs clear, I close it.

Usually takes about 5 minutes.

t

Gotta love gravity!

Gee your lucky , here in Australia it goes in the opposite direction , not really just messin with ya.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"