• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Brake Adjustment Wrench and Being Oblivious

A couple years ago I was in a junkyard of mostly American iron from the fifties--including a 48 Buick Roadmaster Riviera (too far gone, though)--and I came across two Bimmers (gasp), a 528e and a 530, both from the mid-late 70s. Not much of either there, but upon opening the trunk of the 528 and opening the tool tray, I found an almost complete set of Heyco wrenches and accessories. 3 bucks for all of them. Pretty proud of that find.

Over the past couple of years I struggle annually with the almost-hidden, always-frozen brake adjuster bolts. I struggle to slip in a craftsman 17mm and I PBlast, bang, and smoke wrench until they're free. This time I was thinking about discussions on here about the original thin, cranked 17mm wrench designed just for these bolts, and how rare they are. I found a picture of one online, and there on the screen was a pic of a thin, cranked, 17mm Heyco identical to the one I already had. The one I often looked at and wondered, "what's this cranked 17mm for?"

Just shows how missing the obvious can be amusing and worth sharing.

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)

Guest Anonymous

That wrench is great for lots of spots on a 2002 - the guibo nuts for instance. It has always amazed me how much work can be done on our cars with just the standard tool kit that came with them.

Here's a fuzzy pic of me on the Zundapp. Original Metzeler tires. 1970s Alpine Stars boots, too. It'll climb a tree! And thanks for the great McQueen pic! He never was much on the idea of protective clothing.

post-1443-13667660950016_thumb.jpg

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

Especially "ballsy" of Steve considering the tank on that bike looks like it's been layed-down a few times.

(Sent from Amsterdam, where I've so far managed to resist the come-hether looks from the very attractive blond putas in the Red Light District. Window shopping has never been so much fun).

Bob Napier

Bob, good luck avoiding the vixen honey pots. And that bike McQueen is with was one he had a long long time, raced many hare-scrambles with it and it's the same bike he competed on in the '64 ISDT event in E. Germany on a team with Bud and Dave Ekins. I think McQueen separated his shoulder and couldn't finish. A great pic of him from that race shows him all muddy, speeding by with a cig hanging from his mouth. That same bike is in a museum now, original condition, beat-up and unrestored. I think it's even the same bike Bud Ekins used to make the famous jump in The Great Escape. Of course they tried to make it look like a BMW. Sorry, forum moderators, for the McQueen digression, but you just can't pass up an opportunity to discuss the icon. He supposedly drove a 2002 Turbo and said exiting the corners under throttle scared him a little.

post-144-1366766095432_thumb.jpg

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)