• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I had one of those days...long.

May have been a long day with a wet ending but you still had time to talk to me about determing the proper sequence for the ignition wires on the distributor (hash mark on the distributor rim under the cap = #1, then clockwise following the firing order on the valve cover) - I think while you were under your Dad's csi no less, and I can't thank you enough! Fired the car right up this morning and it's running like a top! (knock on wood, mostly my head!). Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...sat behind (not IN) a goddamn barn for fourteen fucking years...

And it never had a single failure in this time. So looking at the trends, it is very reliable with only a handfull of failures in the past 15 years. Unfortunately, the handfull of failures all fell into your hands. Good thing they are capable hands.

Minor set backs.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Paul, not meaning at all to smile on your misfortune, but lately I have had several days like that. Im in the process of replacing all the hoses, gaskets, powdercoating intake, etc., which now need to be redone since 12 years since my last restoration of this tii. At that time, you were still at Max's and I was ordering a huge amount of parts from you on a weekly basis!

I have thus far fixed 4 broken bolts and havent even looked at the exhaust yet. To see that even you can have a bad day makes me think, maybe I am not that hopeless after all! I am paying close attention to your guide on replacing the timing covers right now.

thanks,

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

Ha!

I'm still having days like that! Today on my Dad's 3.0CSi. Got it all back together and set the ignition timing...but when driving (under load) it hits a wall at 3000 rpm as if someone unplugged the coil or fuel pump. Haven't molested the TPS or any other sensors - just unplugged the injectors and harness so I could remove the valve cover last week.

Hopefully there's a D Jet guru listening here!

I am always learning...even from "novices" because they sometimes see things with a viewpoint not clouded by experience. ;-)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Paul, is there a reluctor under the points like some of the Djet Volvos had? Maybe there's an adjustment in there. GENTLY clean the TPS.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I did replace the fuel injection trigger points in the distributor (only because the old ones were well.. you know..."old", and he had a new set in the trunk). I'm not sure what may have changed in the TPS over the 14 days I've had it, but I've heard that they do require a little gentle luvin' from a Q tip and contact cleaner every so often. car ran smoothly except for a weeping #4 injector when it arrived. Either it's water entering the electronics, or I done something careless.

The car was parked outdoors in rain for several days. Time to check the ECU under the rear seat for moisture. :-/

Paul Wegweiser

Unfortuneatly the D jet injectors are not rebuildable. Pull the rail with the injectors attached and have someone crank the engine while you look at the spray pattern of each and or dribbling when the pump is shut off. If you need an injector, don't buy a reman...they are junk. New ones are pricey; but so is a E9.

B...not a novice; but 40 years in the business.

72 Tii 2761525 Fjord- sunroof

73 Tii 2762870 Malaga- sunroof

73 Tii 2763356 Atlantic- sunroof

73 Tii 2763815 Fjord- sunroof

I've already nailed down an ongoing problem with one injector fouling #4 at idle, but I've ordered 2 injectors (new Bosch) just in case. This new phenomenon at 3000rpm under load is a new thing since reassembling everything on Sunday. My money is on submerged ECU or something ignition related. It's happened before...in the rain...in this car about 20 yrs ago. I was in the back seat..and my shoes got wet...and then the car stopped. A hairdryer used at a gas station on the ECU fixed it.

Paul Wegweiser

I did replace the fuel injection trigger points in the distributor (only because the old ones were well.. you know..."old", and he had a new set in the trunk).

Hey Paul,

How were the little bolts that secure the injection points? I had a similar problem when I replaced the injection points on my '74 3.0 csi. The original bolts were all stripped out and wouldn't secure the points correctly. I thought I was screwed and that the distributor holes for the bolts were stripped out, but luckily it was just the bolts. Just a thought. Good luck,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Injection points mounting is 100% good. It "feels" like fuel or ignition "starvation" at either full throttle or rpms above 3000. I'll be checking components by the book one at a time, beginning with manifold pressure sensor, TPS, and ignition coil. It's purely an "under load" condition. Revs fine when parked.

Taking a break from it today...I'll dig deeper tomorrow. Keep the tips coming!

Paul Wegweiser

Injection points mounting is 100% good. It "feels" like fuel or ignition "starvation" at either full throttle or rpms above 3000. I'll be checking components by the book one at a time, beginning with manifold pressure sensor, TPS, and ignition coil. It's purely an "under load" condition. Revs fine when parked.

Taking a break from it today...I'll dig deeper tomorrow. Keep the tips coming!

Paul,

I have been through the D Jet in my 1800ES more than once, and have pretty much figured it out. In comparison to todays systems it is "steam driven". If you have not checked the fuel pressure do that. The pressure in my system is 28 psi, and I have an adjustable regulator. The system is sensitive to pressure variations. Also I have been running reman injectors since 1998 and have had no problems with them period. The TPS primarily functions like the accelerator pump on a carb. You can unplug and drive the car and you will notice the acceleration will not be as sprightly. With the TPS out of the system and if the car still experiences the problem, you can rule it out. With the motor off but the key on start, if you manually advance the TPS you should hear the injectors "click" approx 21 times to full throttle positions.

Earl

1972 Volvo 1800ES w/D Jet

74 2002Lux

02 M Roadster

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Thanks Earl!

Fuel pressure is 29 psi all day long. Even ran long hoses and taped the fuel pressure gauge to the windshield while driving/load testing the car. :)

I'll try your "unplugging the TPS" trick.

Muchos Thankos!

Paul Wegweiser

Lots of knowledge here. Problem is, several separate issues can cause the issue as you know.

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4781&highlight=hesitation+3000

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Yes...great info indeed. After a call to D Jet guru Carl Nelson in CA, he agreed that returning the car to points and condenser should be my first priority in diagnosis. I may have 86'd the XR700 while performing a compression test if something was unplugged, etc.

I need a break from cars...further sleuthing will occur tomorrow. I still need to get my OWN car back on the road! *smile*

Paul Wegweiser