• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving a manual?

The only way to learn it is to do it! You have to find someone who can let you drive their stick, and do it somewhere isolated. A large parking lot or somewhere like that. Maybe a big open field!!!

2002 to 2112! What a Rush!-- '74 2002 - '91 Saab 900

Do step 1, but without touching the gas.

GL,

Ray

Easy as pie. Start slow.

Step 1: Practice lifting your left foot (clutch) as slowly as you press down with the right foot (accelerator).

Step 2: Learn to listen to your car. It will tell you when you need to change.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Learning to drive stick from friend or family can be rough. You need someone PATIENT and willing to let you learn on their car.

I used to be a flight instructor, and the best instructors were always the most patient, yet demanding. They wanted to see results, but understood that what they were teaching was foreign and took time to absorb.

Whoever is willing to let you learn on their clutch is a very giving person. My dad taught me on his '78 911 SC. It is a great lesson to pass on.

do NOT try to learn stick shifting on The Hills Of San Francisco !!! well, at least the uphill hills ..... steer around the uphill hills.

even us seasoned stick shift professionals avoid those hills. Only got myself in one uphill traffic light scare in San Francisco. After that, I only did the downhill hills, never made that mistake since.

Cheers,

Carl

even us seasoned stick shift professionals avoid those hills.

haha i love the hills. I will totally admit they are a total pain in traffic, but it is so satisfying to make a super smooth 40 degree hill start while people with automatics are struggling.

LOL !! I avoid the uphill hills because too many of those 40-degree starts from a traffic light gives your clutch a 10-traffic-light lifetime. Heck, the clutch will be burned out before you get home !!

yet another reason I like the flat desert wastelands of urban Smell-A.

Cheers,

Carl

even us seasoned stick shift professionals avoid those hills.

haha i love the hills. I will totally admit they are a total pain in traffic, but it is so satisfying to make a super smooth 40 degree hill start while people with automatics are struggling.

Driving in general is more fun. More interactive.

YoungbloodsFirstClass.com

Get a couple of professional lessons, its worth it in the long run.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Get a couple of professional lessons, its worth it in the long run.

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Get the car first and then practice with your own. It can't be that hard since everyone of us in Europe can do it. If you just have some motivation it's not any harder than running a bicycle.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

It's very easy, you'll pick it up in no time. A bit rough at first but shouldn't be too bad. Just do it!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2