• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving a manual?

do NOT try to learn stick shifting on The Hills Of San Francisco !!! well, at least the uphill hills ..... steer around the uphill hills.

Haha. I had the clutch go out on my Alfa while in SF. I learned real quick how to match the revs as I shifted.

One trick to learn a clutch is to find a level parking lot with a mild speed bump. Stop the car right at the front of the bump, then try to use the clutch and throttle to bring the front wheels up on top of the speed bump.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

My wife and son were looking for an automatic when first car shopping. I said he must have a maual trans. He got a 83 320is. Took him a few days to get the hang of the clutch. Two weeks later he tells me he is so happy he didn't get an automatic.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

LOL !! I avoid the uphill hills because too many of those 40-degree starts from a traffic light gives your clutch a 10-traffic-light lifetime. Heck, the clutch will be burned out before you get home !!

yet another reason I like the flat desert wastelands of urban Smell-A.

Cheers,

Carl

Maybe the trickyest part of the UK driving test. Use of the well maintained handbrake is the trick.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

+1 on starting in a parking lot as described above. I taught both my teenagers this way.

But that's just the most basic part, the real skill is learning when and why to choose which gear and how to manage engine RPMs to maximize power and fuel consumption (along with identifying the variables that go into choosing which is most important at a given time).

After the kids developed the motor skills to manipulate the shifter and clutch pedal, I had them take me on a long drive in our minivan which has an automatic transmission and a tachometer. We turned off the radio and listened to the engine and watched the tachometer as we subjected the car to different scenarios like accelerating up hills, coming out of a stop sign and keeping the RPMs down to maximize MPG, etc. I explained to them that the automatic transmission is controlled by computers that use sensor outputs to determine load, demand, etc. It is instructive that most automatics will rev the engine to redline on a short freeway ramp and that they shift to high gear to keep RPMs down at cruising speeds--manuals have to work the same way.

Then I told them that the manual transmission requires the same inputs and also needs to be controlled by a computer. That computer is between the driver's ears and relies on the driver's senses as they listen to the engine, observe road conditions (like grade) and the tachometer, feel the car lugging at low RPMs, etc. and the engine vibrations, etc. They then have to consider those inputs relative to their immediate goals (control, acceleration, MPG, etc.) and choose gears accordingly.

...That computer is between the driver's ears and relies on the driver's senses...

This is actually a good reason for many drivers I encounter to be driving their automatic transmission cars.

My neighbor was asking about buying a used BMW E46 for his teenage daughter. I told him to steer away from the first couple of years for crappy auto transmissions. I said if it was a manual, then no problem. My neighbor replied that the car had to be an automatic for his daughter.

I let it slide and didn't go into the BS myths about 'girls don't like to drive manuals', and that he was failing as a parent by not teaching that skill to his kids.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I learned how to drive in a manual you will get the hang of it and get to love it. The only times I wish for an automatic are traffic jams.

As said above start off by placing the car in 1st gear and slowly releasing the clutch, you will notice that the revs will start to go down so apply a little bit of accel pedal to compensate for the power loss.

By now you should be running on 1st with no clutch, accelerate a bit more and just let go the gas, push the clutch in, change to 2nd, let go the clutch, and depress the accel pedal again! Easy!

To down shift it's the same process but without the accelerator just make sure your revs aren't to high for the gear you want to down shift to.

Also find a small hills and practice the following:

-Keeping the car in one place while using only the accelerator and clutch (Clutch slip) just don't do it for to long or you will wear the clutch faster.

-Getting of a hill on a stand still great practice if you are ever on a traffic jam uphill or a street light (SF anyone?). For this one you can start practicing by using your parking brake and slowly releasing it as the car starts to move up hill.

In time you will be fast enough to just let go the brake and quickly build up revs and let go the clutch too.

It's fun give it a go just make sure there aren't any kids playing around!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

My first manual was the 02. Luckily at the time I was on crutches because my ankle was really jacked up, so during our test drive I was like "oh well I guess my Dad will have to drive." It made me feel better to not have to admit that I had no experience. You'll get the hang of it quickly, and after a few weeks it will be like riding a bike as someone else mentioned.

I want to teach my wife to drive stick as well, some of you guys have given great advice, thanks.

If I can teach my teenage daughter to drive a stick (and trust me, she has a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time), then anyone can learn. My daughter loves her E30 eta 5 speed and hates driving her moms automatic E32. The great thing about driving a stick, it keeps you off the cell phone while driving. No one ever asks to borrow my daughters car since none of her friends know how to drive a stick.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner