• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emissions Parts needed for 76

johnyrolly

There were 2 different versions of that connector pipe used on late cars: both pipes make an angular 90-degree bend. But one is slightly longer and has an extra bend (I believe "squiggle" is the technical term) to it. My 49-state 1976 uses this longer version but the shorter pipe remains available from BMW.

I bought the shorter version, cut it in two, as its ends are distinctive and fit the exhaust manifold at one end and the one-way valve at the other end, and had my favorite shop braze in a piece to give it more length and the extra bend. Items 2 and 1, a slip nut and the slip ring, remained on my exhaust manifold. We carefully removed them and re-used them. There are a lot of discarded late exhaust manifolds out there that still have that slip nut (and presumably the slip ring) in place: the pipe was often-times sawn off and welded shut when the air pump was removed.

Good luck.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

There were 2 different versions of that connector pipe used on late cars: both pipes make an angular 90-degree bend. But one is slightly longer and has an extra bend (I believe "sgwiggle" is the technical term) to it. My 49-state 1976 uses this longer version but the shorter pipe remains available from BMW.

I bought the shorter version, cut it in two, as its ends are distinctive and fit the exhaust manifold at one end and the one-way valve at the other end, and had my favorite shop braze in a piece to give it more length and the extra bend. Items 2 and 1, a slip nut and the slip ring, remained on my exhaust manifold. We carefully removed them and re-used them. There are a lot of discarded late exhaust manifolds out there that still have that slip nut (and presumably the slip ring) in place: the pipe was often-times sawn off and welded shut when the air pump was removed.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback - its a huge help. It looks like I had another person fall through on me but the hunt goes on. :)

Just as a quick follow up and since some different connections exist here is a pic of the emissions diagram sticker under the hood.

It shows that the car does not have an EGR connection like other possibly earlier 75 models. Not sure if it points to needing the longer / shorter hoses described in the above post.

Damn I hate being a newb at this :(

post-21432-13667661618498_thumb.jpg

Just as a quick follow up and since some different connections exist here is a pic of the emissions diagram sticker under the hood.

It shows that the car does not have an EGR connection like other possibly earlier 75 models. Not sure if it points to needing the longer / shorter hoses described in the above post.

Damn I hate being a newb at this :(

That's the same schematic as on my '76 49-state car. If your car was a California version '76, it would have the EGR system. Because my car -- 49-state (VIN 2742541, April '76) -- took the longer, and NLA, connector pipe, I would venture to guess that yours would, too.

That said, I re-created the longer pipe by having a small piece inserted between the shorter pipe's ends because I wanted to keep my car VERY original. It may be -- I never tried it -- that the still-available shorter pipe will work! But because it is slightly shorter, and lacks that extra little "squiggle," it might simply mean that the one-way valve, into which the connector pipe threads, sits lower on the front of the engine, and doesn't meet the little factory bracket attached at the valve cover's forward-most acorn nut. This little bracket may well be missing from your forward-most acorn nut, as I presume your car was thoroughly de-smogged. Stated differently, maybe the still-available connector pipe -- without modifications -- would solve your problem!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)